SPS lighting inquiry

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wondering what you all are running for lighting, not the nitty gritty, but what’s PAR on the top of the tank and sandbed, and what’s your ramp up and down time, and total lit time for your SPS systems… I’m shooting about 400 roughly 2-3” under the surface and about 190 on the sand. I have lots of umph left in my lighting system. My tank is just getting going and would like to address my schedule now if needed. I attached my schedule and a tank pic for the heck of it… the blue line is the violet reef day bars, and the purple line is the blue plus and blue sky bars

Any input or advice?

IMG_5667.jpeg IMG_5849.jpeg

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I think your schedule looks good. Here is my Orphek Icon schedule for comparison. I’ve been messing with it trying to get a whiter look at the end of the day since I’m not home until then.

This is the Helios program and then I tweaked it a bit. It’ll keep changing I’m sure until I get what I want. But it’s close now.
IMG_1812.png

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think your schedule looks good. Here is my Orphek Icon schedule for comparison. I’ve been messing with it trying to get a whiter look at the end of the day since I’m not home until then.

This is the Helios program and then I tweaked it a bit. It’ll keep changing I’m sure until I get what I want. But it’s close now.
IMG_1812.png
Have you shot PAR? Would be interested to know what the number is at 12:00

ronnie

Acro addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Have you shot PAR? Would be interested to know what the number is at 12:00
I haven’t, but I know this thing packs a punch. I had to turn it down after a 30 day acclimation due to everything lightening up so much.

I will try to find a par meter and test. Local is tough though since there isn’t much around in that regard.

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t, but I know this thing packs a punch. I had to turn it down after a 30 day acclimation due to everything lightening up so much.

I will try to find a par meter and test. Local is tough though since there isn’t much around in that regard.
Yea I gotcha. Thank you

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a reasonable schedule to me. The standard helios program looks too purple to me. Here's what I'm using.

Screenshot_20240127_115703_Orphek iCon.jpg

SamMule

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I'd say whiter than most run. Doing my best to approximate the spectrum on my t5 tank.
That tank runs 3 coral plus, 2 blue+ and an actinic

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a reasonable schedule to me. The standard helios program looks too purple to me. Here's what I'm using.

Screenshot_20240127_115703_Orphek iCon.jpg

Those PAR numbers should work fine. I run a tad higher up top and maybe a tad lower on the sand. ATI Stratons X 3.

I think I may have forgot submersion settings because the numbers on my post are off. Just reshot PAR… I’m thinking of bumping them up a bit, thoughts on that and if so, how much? I think I’d prefer to have the 190 on the sand than 110

Attachments

• IMG_5865.jpeg
    IMG_5865.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 37

paul17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lets try a metal halide t/5 set up ..there wont be no worrying about par. there is a lot of combos you can run. you will grow coral like crazy and have a total natural looking reef. cause m/h is a single point source of light (best shimmer lines ) it will not disappoint

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lets try a metal halide t/5 set up ..there wont be no worrying about par. there is a lot of combos you can run. you will grow coral like crazy and have a total natural looking reef. cause m/h is a single point source of light (best shimmer lines ) it will not disappoint
I’m not switching my lighting system out. I love this setup. The bars are running 60-65% at peak. Plenty of umph left.

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Last I checked I'm getting 350 about mid level in the tank and about 100 or less at the bottom.

Tank is 24" deep and the lights are 17" above the water line

OP
OP
BAMatter

BAMatter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last I checked I'm getting 350 about mid level in the tank and about 100 or less at the bottom.

Tank is 24" deep and the lights are 17" above the water line
Is that popping 100% all channels at peak?

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
No, the peak is 78%. It goes from 74-78-74 for about 6 hours.

3 hour ramp up and down on each side

All the channels are equal at all levels, so no hyper blue. The ambient view is the same for the whole 12 hours........only the intensity changes.

This is the type of setup that will excite pigments and photo proteins across the board. The result is every color will pop visually in the tank. Red, blue, purple, green, pink ect.

There is not one acro that won't color up to full potential. If you want to add more blue just for viewing that's up to you.

Last edited:

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When I made the switch----

I matched par with my T5s when the Orpheks were at peak level at 78% and ran for the same 9 hours I was running with my T5s.

A month ago I bumped up to the 12 hour period. Just straight up changed it from one day to the next. I didn't think corals would care much as that extra 3 hours was a ramp down period

LPS weren't happy for a week or so but they are adjusted now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back