SPS success in high nutrient systems

zaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had success with SPS in higher nutrient systems? with both color and growth?

I recently transferred to a slightly larger system and all the corals (mainly LPS) and anemones are doing great with minimal algae growth. The live rock came from systems at least three years old and parameters have been steady in the last month. I really do not want to chase numbers especially when everything seems to be doing phenomenal.

Tank parameters:
Nitrate: 20ppm
Phosphate: 0.25ppm
Alk: 7 dKH
Calcium: 420ppm

Thanks!

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I’ve kept Montis, Pocillopora and Birdsnest in conditions just like yours. They all did great. Not sure Acros would love the higher nutrients though, but someone else can weigh in on those.

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
N03- 50ppm
P04- .30ppm

20240103_151718.jpg

OP
OP
Z

zaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. I’ve kept Montis, Pocillopora and Birdsnest in conditions just like yours. They all did great. Not sure Acros would love the higher nutrients though, but someone else can weigh in on those.

Ok cool. I have a plating monti doing well and I will probably move to some birdsnest, digita, and millies next.

OP
OP
Z

zaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a few Tenuis going bananas :)
Full spectrum, no fancy blues tricks ;)
20240103_145939.jpg

20240103_145954.jpg

20240103_145636.jpg
Wow. That is incredible. You are making me want to order some stick right now lol.

What is your take on nutrient levels, especially if someone new to the hobby is asking?

Edit: you just answered my question below.

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a great looking tank. Thank you for sharing!

Frankly, I don't think it matters, if the value is there, it's there. I think the misconception is algae fear mongering in these environments. I believe trace and microbiome are connected and need stability for nutrients to even be accessed. So, if they are available at low or high values, they are in fact available. Probably off the mark, but their cousin plants work this way in soil.

schooncw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had success with SPS in higher nutrient systems? with both color and growth?

I recently transferred to a slightly larger system and all the corals (mainly LPS) and anemones are doing great with minimal algae growth. The live rock came from systems at least three years old and parameters have been steady in the last month. I really do not want to chase numbers especially when everything seems to be doing phenomenal.

Tank parameters:
Nitrate: 20ppm
Phosphate: 0.25ppm
Alk: 7 dKH
Calcium: 420ppm

Thanks!
Following. I’ll post some pics later of my over stocked and overfed 120 softie/lps tank. The rock is 30 + years old, PO is never below 1.0 and NO3 is somewhere around 65.

vahegan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that as long as the parameters are stable and not climbing, i.e. there is equilibrium between nutrients import and export, and as long as they aren't way too high (i.e. 3ppm phosphate in an acropora tank), there should be no issues. Meaning, do not stock a lot of fish at once, but add them gradually once the corals start to take over.

OP
OP
Z

zaga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrate is over 35, phosphates are over .6
20231226_113944.jpg

This tank has been high nutrients since I moved into it nearly a year ago. I could just never get them to come down. But things look good and if it ain't broke don't fix it!
Everything looks great. How long has your tank been running?

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 57 31.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 48 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 37 20.3%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 20.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back