SPS - Who has switched from LED/T5 and happy with it?

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those of you who have switched from LED/T5 to all LED and are happy with the result (in terms of equal or better coral health, coloration, and growth), what LEDs are you using? Specifically interested in inputs from predominantly SPS tanks.

saltcreep74

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish I had a T5 led hybrid.
I actually have a T5 LED Hybrid and thinking of going full T5's.... Im running 2 x Xr15's on my Hybrid but im experiencing the issue with Mobius time drift and it's ticking me off....looking to simplify my light set up.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have a T5 LED Hybrid and thinking of going full T5's.... Im running 2 x Xr15's on my Hybrid but im experiencing the issue with Mobius time drift and it's ticking me off....looking to simplify my light set up.
I've never had an issue with mobius and my lights, wave makers or return pump.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i went from an 8-bulb ati sunpower with a LED strip to 2 Gen 5 Radion XR30's and the same LED strip with no change in coral growth.
You will lose coverage from shading but i sure don't miss changing/burning in bulbs and the tank is considerably sharper looking

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added metal halides to my T5 & LEDs. Just 4 hours a day and I get deeper and richer colors from my acros.
IMG_1229.jpeg
IMG_1134.jpeg

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Some of this may not be the difference between LED and T5 and more from the heavy handed blue that is used with LEDs.

In other words it's more likely from not running a full spectrum from approx. 400-600nm or not running these parameters long enough.

This is just my experience after running T5s for 13+ years and going to LED, Orphek Icons, for 9 months now. I run the Orpheks on the Helius program which keeps the same spectrum the whole day just like my T5s and MH(10 years) before that.

My other Sps system is T5 which I have no intention of changing. I haven't noticed any significance in color or growth differences.

Last edited:

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of this may not be the difference between LED and T5 and more from the heavy handed blue that is used with LEDs.

In other words it's more likely from not running a full spectrum from approx. 400-600nm or not running these parameters long enough.

This is just my experience after running T5s for 13+ years and going to LED, Orphek Icons, for 9 months now. I run the Orpheks on the Helius program which keeps the same spectrum the whole day just like my T5s and MH(10 years) before that.

My other Sps system is T5 which I have no intention of changing. I haven't noticed any significance in color or growth differences.
I’ve seen several colored up and mature acropora dominant tanks lit by Orpheks.

100% on running full spectrum for at least the peak part of the light cycle.

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey @Big E can you show us some tank shots?

Big E

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Go here---the most recent pics of the colonies are under the Orpheks. There are a few tank shots as well in post 407

bobnicaragua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go here---the most recent pics of the colonies are under the Orpheks. There are a few tank shots as well in post 407

You’re pulling nice colors!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back