Square Tail Bristletooth Tang

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS finally got the tang I ordered over a month ago. So excited to have my final addition to the tank! I was ready to settle for a regular yellow tang since it appears Square Tail Bristletooth Tangs are hard to come by.

Anyway, are they as prone to ich as other tangs? any special precautions with him medication wise as I QT? First time having a tang of any kind.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not as bad as say powder blue tangs but all fish has the potential to carry the parasite even if its not noticeable at first. Always qt.

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as tangs go, not nearly as susceptible to ich as Acanthurus species of tangs, but they are still a tang.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will mask parasites during qt frequently if you dont treat pre-emptively. They're not a very aggressive tang and they're good "detritivores"

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
almost 4 years later and he's doing great! He hates my blenny, active and always picking! He gets along really well with my magnificent foxface, always swimming side side which is a surprise since they're both algae eaters, lol.

His color turned more brown, lost it's beautiful orange/yellow colors as it got older, but still an awesome fish!

Don.ald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
almost 4 years later and he's doing great! He hates my blenny, active and always picking! He gets along really well with my magnificent foxface, always swimming side side which is a surprise since they're both algae eaters, lol.

His color turned more brown, lost it's beautiful orange/yellow colors as it got older, but still an awesome fish!
Pictures?

OP
OP
DracoKat

DracoKat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• F59E8DA3-9433-4359-9A7D-A70A0D377A8A.jpeg
    F59E8DA3-9433-4359-9A7D-A70A0D377A8A.jpeg
    108.2 KB · Views: 300

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS finally got the tang I ordered over a month ago. So excited to have my final addition to the tank! I was ready to settle for a regular yellow tang since it appears Square Tail Bristletooth Tangs are hard to come by.

Anyway, are they as prone to ich as other tangs? any special precautions with him medication wise as I QT? First time having a tang of any kind.

I treat all tangs as 'ich magnets' and give them an overly throrough QT period...

They are pretty hearty fish though. I had a White Tail Bristletooth that I purchased with velvet, after the velvet was resolved he displayed ich. He also had worms... Long story short he was in QT/Observation for almost 2 months, but rebounded and now hes the most vibrant fish in the tank

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back