stable vrs unchanging

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One if this old engineer's pet peeves is the use of stablity to describe what are constant parameters. The two concepts are not the same with significant differences.

Constant means unchanging.

Stable refers to what a system does when it deviates from some "steady state" value.

Therefore it is possilbe to have constant, unstable operation and stable varying operation.

Consider for instance a yard stick you are holding vertically. It is possible to balance the stick in the palm of your hand. But with constantly moving your hand to keep it vertical. That is a constant (if your hand is fast enough) but unstable operation. Any wind that comes along and deviates the stick from vertical will result in the stick tipping over (unless you are very quick with your hand).

Now consider the stick vertical but held at the top. If the wind comes up the stick moves and gravity returns the stick to the vertical position. The stick may be bouncing around in the wind or even oscillating so is not constantly vertical. But because the system is stable no hand motion is necessary.

So in our aquariums some refer too a constant pH as stable. Not necessairly.
Is a constant 0 ammonia stable? Not necessarly.
And is a daily pH drop unstable? not necessairly.

So to me what is important is to increase the stability of your systems even if parameter do vary.

For instance, if you overfeed or a fish dies, do you get huge ammonia spikes that further stress the system? That is an unstable operation. But if the system (through plant action) immediately consumes the ammonia that is a stable operation.

And pH can drop each night. But if an increase of carbon dioxide results in more calcium carbonate being dissolved, the system will react to return the nightly ph drop to former values. A varying but stable operation.

So just a nit but to me and extremely important concept on how we maintain our closed systems. Stability is more important then actual values. And those values do not have to be constant. And don't assume that with constant values you have a stable system.

Just this old engineer's .02

Last edited:

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said Bob.

I would add that stability is more important then actual values to an extent, but still agree with you and would like other people to keep these differences in mind. There are many aspects of reefing that get taken one way or another like the differences in "stability/unchanging".

OP
OP
B

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well said Bob.

I would add that stability is more important then actual values to an extent, but still agree with you and would like other people to keep these differences in mind. There are many aspects of reefing that get taken one way or another like the differences in "stability/unchanging".

aww thanks.

And you are correct that parameters do have to be within some range of values. Hopefully we can run our tank to be stable within those ranges.

my .02

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back