Stand Painting

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I want to paint/seal the inside of the new stand and canopy I am building for my 125G tank. Anyone have any tips on what kind of paint to use?

I tried using KILZ brush on primer and brush on appliance epozy, but they peeled off the wood with the humidity. I need something that is going to stick well in the damp environment.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bump!

OP
OP
cdness

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No thompson's water seal...

When I painted my current stand it was during a move. I think the humidity was too high in the wood, thus not allowing the primer to adhere correctly to the wood.

I am building the stand out of construction grade pine. It should be dry enough so I'll just use the Kilz again and see what happens. That is unless someone has a better idea...lol.

Chompers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Use the oil based Kills. I think it is Kilz 2.

But it does sound like the wood had been treated with a silicone water repellant (Thompson's, etc.) at some time in the past. The moisture content in the wood would have to be crazy for the Kilz to not bond well. You would have known when you were painting it. But then again, if it were treated with a silicone product, you would have known that too. :squigglemouth:

Last edited:
Back