Stand question for 125 gallon build

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to build a bigger stand to fit a sump. This was a freshwater setup that I drilled, and will be using as a mixed reef. I would like to use the same stand design as below, but make the stand 25" width, which will leave me 17" under the stand to fit the 16" wide sump. The tank is a standard 125 gallon, 72x18x24.

My question is, can I center the tank on top of the stand? Or have the tank sit flush with the back of the stand? If not, any suggestions on a diy stand that will work in this scenario? I am concerned with the tank not sitting on the edges of the stand. Looking for a simple budget friedly design. .thanks

20230506_144912.jpg

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
You definitely want to have strong bracing alon the entire perimeter of the tank itself since that's where all of the weight will be.

If you are confident in your cabinetry skills (or the skills of the person building your stand) I'd suggest using 3/4" plywood instead. That's what I used to build the stand for my 125. Not just for it to be more aesthetically pleasing (to me) but also to be able to squeeze as much usable space inside the stand as I could while still being structurally sound. I'm actually sitting in front of my tank now, here's a picture of the stand.

20230506_142021.jpg

OP
OP
FishyDP

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You definitely want to have strong bracing alon the entire perimeter of the tank itself since that's where all of the weight will be.

If you are confident in your cabinetry skills (or the skills of the person building your stand) I'd suggest using 3/4" plywood instead. That's what I used to build the stand for my 125. Not just for it to be more aesthetically pleasing (to me) but also to be able to squeeze as much usable space inside the stand as I could while still being structurally sound. I'm actually sitting in front of my tank now, here's a picture of the stand.

20230506_142021.jpg
Beautiful stand. That would work out perfectly as long as I can fit my sump, which is the triton 44 v2 (44x16x15). Do you have general plans for a 3/4" plywood stand? I took some carpentry classes last year including trim/baseboard/general woodworking, but as you can see above my skills are mediocre lol. I will be building it, as long as it is mostly straight cuts I should be good. I am confident in building a basic sturdy frame, and just have to take my time with the finish work.

Last edited:

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Beautiful stand. That would work out perfectly as long as I can fit my sump, which is the triton 44 v2 (44x16x15). Do you have general plans for a 3/4" plywood stand? I took some carpentry classes last year including trim/baseboard/general woodworking, but as you can see above my skills are mediocre lol. I will be building it, as long as it is mostly straight cuts I should be good. I am confident in building a basic sturdy frame, and just have to take my time with the finish work.

Thanks! I'm sorry but I don't have plans, unfortunately. I just kinda winged it, I had an idea in my head and hoped for the best, lol.

I would say that it's a project that requires a lower, but not beginner woodworking skill level. If you have access to a table saw then I say go for it. You really need to be able to make precise and repeatable cuts considering it will hold a glass box full of water on top of it. If you want, I can write out a cut list for you. I'm not home now, but I will double check the inside measurements when I get a chance. I'm 99% sure that your sump would fit.

OP
OP
FishyDP

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I'm sorry but I don't have plans, unfortunately. I just kinda winged it, I had an idea in my head and hoped for the best, lol.

I would say that it's a project that requires a lower, but not beginner woodworking skill level. If you have access to a table saw then I say go for it. You really need to be able to make precise and repeatable cuts considering it will hold a glass box full of water on top of it. If you want, I can write out a cut list for you. I'm not home now, but I will double check the inside measurements when I get a chance. I'm 99% sure that your sump would fit.
That would be awesome if you could provide a cut list, when you have time! I do own a table saw, clamps etc so should be good to go. I appreciate it! I will have to send you a frag down the road, if I ever get this project done.

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! So this would work on a 6-foot 125g tank with no center braces on the stand using 2x4s?
Just adding on to @RocketEngineer design - in case it wasn’t clear from the sketch just make sure you have the purple verticals under the corners of your tank and all four corners are in full bearing. Build the stand however deeper front/back you like after that, using whatever other verticals you need to frame out the desired stand dimensions.

(also, thank you RocketEngineer - used your plans for my own stand )

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Sections of doubled up 3/4" ply is your best bet if you're to fit that sump underneath.

You can slightly overbuild the stand (width wise) to allow for 16+" clearance for the sump, as long as you have a 3/4" ply top. You can also brace the top underneath spanning the front and back, much the same way your tank is braced.

Here are possibly the best plywood plans that dont require full sheets for each of the sides.

Hope this helps.

Bird-World-display-014.jpg

Bird-World-display-011.jpg

Bird-World-display-010.jpg

OP
OP
FishyDP

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sections of doubled up 3/4" ply is your best bet if you're to fit that sump underneath.

You can slightly overbuild the stand (width wise) to allow for 16+" clearance for the sump, as long as you have a 3/4" ply top. You can also brace the top underneath spanning the front and back, much the same way your tank is braced.

Here are possibly the best plywood plans that dont require full sheets for each of the sides.

Hope this helps.

So, I am thinking that I can use my current stand by removing or relocating some of the center vertical supports and add a 3/4"ply top. I would be left with 17.25" width, which is more than enough clearance for the sump. This may just do the trick :)

I do have 2 separate 1/2" ply "tops" secured underneath the top of the frame on my current stand, but I will likely add a another on top, especially since I will be losing some of the center vertical support. Very nice-looking stand by the way.

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hope this helps.

what wood is this, 2x4? are you saying this is plywood? i'm having difficulty finding 2x4 that is straight with the floor

TDM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looks like I'm going to be doing one of these for the first time.
To be clear...
the tank rests on the Yellow and Red, not on the Green, correct?

And the standard thumb rule dimensions for the stand are 1" extra in length (Red + Yellow on each end) and no extra on width (yellow), as compared to tank actual dimensions?

Not that anyone asked, but I currently have a stand that is 3/4" plywood...and it was great. Until my basement flooded and I simply don't trust the plywood anymore, so am going a DIY route w/ 2x4 and maybe 2x6...

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 31 18.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 112 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back