Standard 55g, want to build a canopy, but as light as possible, ideas?

BeastMode335i

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a standard 55g tank, and I'd like to build a canopy for my LED's I just ordered, but not looking to go overboard and would like to keep it as light as possible.. My stand is sturdy but it's not over-sized as it's just as narrow as the tank.. I was thinking about something "box-like" with some doors on the front that I can lift up, but anyone have any recommendations on wood or material that I could use that isn't to heavy..?? I was thinking of some pine 1x2's and maybe some of that board material that looks kind of like wood, can't think of the name.. But anyways just looking for some ideas and didn't see a ton of DIY Canopy builds for 55g's that were cautious on weight of materials..

Thanks!

Video for reference - but he doesn't list the type of wood he uses...

dbl

It Takes Less Energy to be Nice
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think if you made it out of 1" x 2's" that's about as light weight as you would be able to get the framing. You could skin it with a thin plywood material and make some access doors/panels on the front. Or simply hinge the entire front so it could be swung up and out of the way for access. Lot's of ways to skin a cat...or a canopy in your case.

OP
OP
BeastMode335i

BeastMode335i

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think if you made it out of 1" x 2's" that's about as light weight as you would be able to get the framing. You could skin it with a thin plywood material and make some access doors/panels on the front. Or simply hinge the entire front so it could be swung up and out of the way for access. Lot's of ways to skin a cat...or a canopy in your case.

Yeah I'm going to run by Lowe's this morning and grab what I need.. I figured a simple rack style would work as well, but I may design a canopy tho instead.. What I'd really like is to get a new stand that's a bit over-sized for my tank, but the process of breaking down my tank gives me a headache just thinking about it lol..

millertyler22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1457740194.352206.jpg

After
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1457740216.156345.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1457740216.156345.jpg

millertyler22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What u see is it lol
-55gallon
Hob reef octo. Skimmer
2 Jabeo w40
BRS media reactor

The lights a two eBay Chinese black box LEDs the flouting canopy I made at work out of some extrusion they threw out I just cut it to size welded it together painted it the hind it from the shelve hangers

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 53 31.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 46 27.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 33.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back