Stands- Is Store Bought Strong Enough????

92GallonReefer

It Is What It Is
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As many of you may know i am setting up a new tank and knew it would be wayyyyyy to hard to make a corner stand for the tank so i bought one ( for a really good price!) The thing is so light i can lift it my self, it seems sturdy but has small i think 1x3 on it for the verticals. my question is do you all think it will be ok how it is or should i try and beef it up a bit? if you think about it thats almost a thousand pounds on just a few boards! What would/have you all done?

nino78

Blue Planet Corals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The store bought seem very week but they will hold the weight. They run lost of tests to make sure it can. You'll be just fine.

AlexStinson

Plankton
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stands are very sneaky... seems most stands are constructed of 1x4's. As long as you are completely level, you are only putting vertical compression on the wood, and being wood's strongpoint you should be quite fine :)

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alex do you think they would actually cover your losses if the stand fails? that seems a bit iffy for them to be liable for possibles tens of thousands of dollars i just don't seem that happening

addocdreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alex do you think they would actually cover your losses if the stand fails? that seems a bit iffy for them to be liable for possibles tens of thousands of dollars i just don't seem that happening

if a mfg. covers anything it will only be the stand, nothing else. 1 x 3's can hold the vertcal load but what stablilizes them laterally? i've seen some with particle board and personally dont trust them for the long term especially if you have a sump and/or high humidity conditions. also what do the joints look like? just rabbit fit and glue or do they have corner gussets? nowadays it seems you dont even get what u pay for:rolleyes:just food for thought.

Nate82

Paitence Sucks...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i guess the bottom line is if you're nervous a support or two wouldn't cost alot it could only help and it would ease your stress.. go for it

coral88

Hobbyist for now
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not alter the stand unless you know what you are doing If you reinforce the stand in the wrong way you could do more harm than good.. The stand was more than likely designed by structural engineer and should have no problem holding the weight.

OP
OP
92GallonReefer

92GallonReefer

It Is What It Is
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is held up by 1x2 not the 1x3 that i thought and the entire stand is made out of real wood not the particle board or cardboard. it has two 1x2 at each corner (corner tank so 3 total) and 1 in the middle of the front and the top lip is made out of 1x3s to set the tank on.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 125 42.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 101 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 47 16.0%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 15 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.7%
Back