Starphire Glass Has a haze (pictures included)

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past month or so I' noticed a haze (mineral deposits?) on the front panel that is ruining my reef. Ironically both side panels are not really effected as can be seen from last picture. The front and side panel are starphire glass!

I've used a magic erraser and a Razor blade and still no help. This tank gets a good clean every other day with a flipper mag.

The below picture is from 3 months ago before these blurry panels!. this is my first custom tank with starphire glass and i've never had this on my past standard glass tanks. What gives and how can I get rid of it? I can't tear this tank down or use vinegar there has to be a more practical way!

1208171906.jpg

1208171906a.jpg

20170716_144416.jpg

1208171911.jpg

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you reached out to C2C to ask them? If not, I'd do that. I have heard of starphire glass etching from coraline growth, but only after a long period of time.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you reached out to C2C to ask them? If not, I'd do that. I have heard of starphire glass etching from coraline growth, but only after a long period of time.

Not yet! I just started noticing it and wanted to post a picture to see if anyone had any suggestions.

Can't really see it unless you looking from the bottom up.

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I just emailed the manufacture multiple pictures of the haze aswell as progression shots. I just confirmed that the blade won't remove it and the etching/haze is only happening on the 2 starphire panels. I used a flash light at night to shine on the 3 glass panels and even the side is right side is pretty bad. I can't find any signs of the haze on the left panel (which was standard glass). AHHH the things we go through in this hobby, if its not one thing its another:mad:

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone had hard water etching develop on their panels? Never heard of this happening on the R2R...I am afraid my only options are going to be a total tear down:(

Mandelstam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh that really sucks. I've never heard of it before.

Been debating about getting low iron glass for my build but if you risk this kind of hazzle I'll definitely pass..

Keep us posted and if you find out what caused it I'm very interested in knowing.

Hope it will sort itself out.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I've had standard tanks for 20 years. However, its those bracings I don't trust so went custom for this one being my first sps dominant tank wanted something I can do 40-70X turnover for 10+ years. If I could go back knowing what I know now I would have done standard glass. This haze may only be because of the starphire glass

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know my original pictures where pretty hazy! I just took these shots few minutes ago so you can see its difficult to see haze from eye level.

1210171411b.jpg

1210171411a.jpg

below picture ( the line you see is from the back panel)

1210171412.jpg

OP
OP
Ashish Patel

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh that really sucks. I've never heard of it before.

Been debating about getting low iron glass for my build but if you risk this kind of hazzle I'll definitely pass..

Keep us posted and if you find out what caused it I'm very interested in knowing.

Hope it will sort itself out.

Thanks, I inspected the standard glass on the side and at night and there is 0 hazing. I believe its hardwater etching - which can't be removed through vinegar or scraping. Im worried it will have to be torn down and buffed out with sand wheel or something. I would consider regular glass since most corals are Green anyways.lol

Wayner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Over the past month or so I' noticed a haze (mineral deposits?) on the front panel that is ruining my reef. Ironically both side panels are not really effected as can be seen from last picture. The front and side panel are starphire glass!

I've used a magic erraser and a Razor blade and still no help. This tank gets a good clean every other day with a flipper mag.

The below picture is from 3 months ago before these blurry panels!. this is my first custom tank with starphire glass and i've never had this on my past standard glass tanks. What gives and how can I get rid of it? I can't tear this tank down or use vinegar there has to be a more practical way!

1208171906.jpg

1208171906a.jpg

20170716_144416.jpg

1208171911.jpg

Same thing happened to me, the builder said the glass had been left outside and moisture somehow got in causing the staining, there’s nothing you can do other than demand a new tank cause the glass is defective .

Mine was replaced , the thing is, you can’t notice the staining unless there’s water in the tank

Larry L

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Ashish Patel : How long was the tank set up and running with water in it, before you noticed this? Recently I've been wondering if my front glass (also low iron) has some sort of hazing going on, it has been running for a few years now.

Wayner

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A month or so - I thought it was glue or some sort of residue left over from the build that they didn’t clean so took my Mag Float to it nothing, tried a razor blade nothing, it was then I realized that the haze was actually in between the lanes of glass and there was nothing I could do about it

Anyhow they did the whole tank over no questions asked, they said they’ve seen it before

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back