Starry Blenny Herbivore...not mine...lol

HaloPhenom27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a Starry Blenny and absolutely love this fish. To say that they are incredible would be an understatement.

In my set up I only have 3 fish. The other two are a Black Storm Clown and a Black Clown. All 3 get along great. They are peaceful and that is how I like a tank to run.

When I got my Starry Blenny it was for the sole purpose of having a herbivore to help with any micro algae that may be in the tank as my clown's obviously don't do that. My Blenny must be of a different breed though. I don't mean that literally but while he does eat plant based foods, nothing pleases him more than when I feed my clownfish fresh meaty foods such as Mysis. He absolutely goes crazy and eats it like it is candy. It is comical and yet amazing to me and I was wondering if anyone has had the same experience?

OP
OP
HaloPhenom27

HaloPhenom27

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most fish that are labeled "herbivore" in stores will go crazy for mysis. Nothing's wrong with him. He probably doesn't want to pass up a free calorie dense snack

Yea, I was not worried that anything was wrong with him. He is happy and healthy. It clearly just shows they are not strictly herbivores.

Zionas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Winnieland (AKA “People’s” Republic of China)
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came across this old thread. Are they a lot more omnivorous than their congeners Lawnmowers? If that’s true, interesting intra-genus differences.

Are different dietary preferences common within the same genus? Like one species is more of a generalized feeder while the other is an obligate x-vore?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine eats everything.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 103 43.5%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 79 33.3%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 39 16.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.7%
Back