Starting out

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 20 gallon fresh water planted tank and doing pretty well. Now I want to try my hand at a nano saltwater tank. Thinking about a AIO, Had thought about the JBJ wifi 28 gallon or the Waterbox 25 gallon. I have seen some not so good things said about the JBJ about leaking and failures with that tank so not sure where to turn.

Want simple corals and at least one clownfish and someone told me I could also add in a azure damsel after and also live rock. Would be open to ideas and other tanks but do not think I have a place to be able to do a sump setup.

Also good heater for this setup? On my fresh water I use a cobalt but they seem to be not available right now for what ever reason. Also is a protein skimmer needed?

Andrew

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Andrew
Water box would be a good choice .
I would cycle your tank with Dr. Tim’s One and and only and do a fishless cycle . You will find tons of info on this platform about this
I would go with zoas as a good starter on coral .
I have never had a tank without. Skimmer . I would plan on getting one at some point

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Andrew
Water box would be a good choice .
I would cycle your tank with Dr. Tim’s One and and only and do a fishless cycle . You will find tons of info on this platform about this
I would go with zoas as a good starter on coral .
I have never had a tank without. Skimmer . I would plan on getting one at some point
I thought the waterbox has a skimmer with it included? What protein skimmer would work? What would be a good Auto top off system?

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the waterbox has a skimmer with it included? What protein skimmer would work? What would be a good Auto top off system?
I don’t think so but you can check on there website . There is room for one base in what I’ve read but someone that has waterbox in here can help you
Out with best skimmer and auto top off but BRS has a XP Aqua sumpless ato on there site

Attachments

• 1D0816E6-749A-42EC-BAB8-4FCB9026217E.png
    1D0816E6-749A-42EC-BAB8-4FCB9026217E.png
    413.3 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also any ideas on a stand? Peninsula mini 25, Waterbox cabinets are pretty pricey to say the least. If I get a cabinet to hide stuff could even do a sump and not sure if the sump tanks also have a area for Auto top off tank or not. Either way I do not want to spend 350 or more on a cabinet or a stand.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how handy you are and how good you want it to look. Can build a stand with 2x4s and plywood for relatively cheap. Some door hinges, sanding and a stain and you're done. ATO's can feed directly into a sump. However the DTs are different for sump/sumpless unless you're going to run a HOB. I put my tank inside a bedroom closet and displayed it inside the wall in my living room. Made it easy for me to just build a sturdy stand. All equipment and tank are inside a closet of the den where no one ever sees them.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how handy you are and how good you want it to look. Can build a stand with 2x4s and plywood for relatively cheap. Some door hinges, sanding and a stain and you're done. ATO's can feed directly into a sump. However the DTs are different for sump/sumpless unless you're going to run a HOB. I put my tank inside a bedroom closet and displayed it inside the wall in my living room. Made it easy for me to just build a sturdy stand. All equipment and tank are inside a closet of the den where no one ever sees them.
DT's? Not sure what that stands for. What is a HOB? Not handy enough to make my own stand, well enough to make it look halfway decent anyway. Is it worthwild to use a Sump? I know will need some kind of protein skimmer that I do not believe is included with the Peninsula mini 25.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Display tank and hang on back. Some tanks come pre drilled for the fittings to drain water to your sump where a pump pushes it back up and in.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the tanks aren't pre drilled you have to hang a pump on the back of the tank to draw water out and send it to your sump. I do not use a sump. They are beneficial though.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other things you should consider when starting are 2 or 3 heaters(main, backup, and 1 for water changes) a heater controller. I use inkbird and swear by it. RODI system is a must unless you plan on buying all of your water. Brute garbage can for mixing water and a couple 5 gallon buckets. Extra power head for mixing your salt and test kits.

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other things you should consider when starting are 2 or 3 heaters(main, backup, and 1 for water changes) a heater controller. I use inkbird and swear by it. RODI system is a must unless you plan on buying all of your water. Brute garbage can for mixing water and a couple 5 gallon buckets. Extra power head for mixing your salt and test kits.
If I am going to go the Sump for this maybe I should use a different tank. The waterbox is a AIO and I would guess there might be tanks better suited for this kind of thing. I have no idea if a different tank and having to get all the pumps and filter and all would be cheaper in the long run or not.

Yes I would probably have to buy all my water. I have well water and no real way to hook up a RODI system.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The BRS 5 stage I use just needs a hose hook up. I plumbed one in but you just as easily use a hose or laundry faucet.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 20 gallon fresh water planted tank and doing pretty well. Now I want to try my hand at a nano saltwater tank. Thinking about a AIO, Had thought about the JBJ wifi 28 gallon or the Waterbox 25 gallon. I have seen some not so good things said about the JBJ about leaking and failures with that tank so not sure where to turn.

Want simple corals and at least one clownfish and someone told me I could also add in a azure damsel after and also live rock. Would be open to ideas and other tanks but do not think I have a place to be able to do a sump setup.

Also good heater for this setup? On my fresh water I use a cobalt but they seem to be not available right now for what ever reason. Also is a protein skimmer needed?

Andrew
JBJ has been around this hobby from the start and has never had a good reputation for quality, I would never trust one of thier tanks

Waterbox has been around for a few years, but WB owners seem to love them. Waterbox all the way! Might also look into the Innovative Marine Nuvos that come with the DC mightyjet return pump, they are a great value when they include that pump.

I use BRS heaters tied into a controller system on my large tank, but if I were doing a Nano without a controller id go with a Eheim Jager. No thermostat aquarium heater is great though, and you should replace them yearly regardless of what you buy to be safe...

Last edited:

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with one that I found on Amazon for around 80$ I'll see if I can find the name for ya

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skimmer can wait. It'll save you Start up costs

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a LFS? (Local fish store)
They can assist in getting you a tank. They may be able to get things you cant

OP
OP
L

lstmysock11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a LFS? (Local fish store)
They can assist in getting you a tank. They may be able to get things you cant
None that close, Not in a rush. Just finding out what I need, What stuff will cost and so on. Planing on doing this if we get the other 1400 dollars of stimulus money.

I thought a skimmer was a must have. Any videos on showing the entire setting up with the filter, piping and sump and all?

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back