Starting over...what would you do?

linkedsilas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a 90 gallon, downsizing to a 30 so Im starting alllllll over again.
Want to use some of the rock and sand from 90.(Im thinking not live..read below)
Issues from the 90, hair algae, red turf algae, tons of vermetid snails.
Would you bleach/kill everything on the rock and start over again? Time is not an issue. I have all the time in the world to do this.
Would you just put it in a bin with saltwater,flow and a heater with NO other animals in it? My issue with this is could the vermetids etc be dormant and then somehow "reanimate" when I then try to put it in the new tank and start the cycle or is that enough to starve them out and die off?
I know this new tank or any tank for that matter with wont be completely
"sterile" because I am transferring over my fish and a few coral (which I plan to inspect carefully), I just want the best outcome.

Side question: would putting my coral in a frag tank for a month or 2 before I bring it over to the new tank be even more beneficial? Lots of turf algae on the rocks around the coral , Should I just chip the coral off and reglue ?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Have a 90 gallon, downsizing to a 30 so Im starting alllllll over again.
Want to use some of the rock and sand from 90.(Im thinking not live..read below)
Issues from the 90, hair algae, red turf algae, tons of vermetid snails.
Would you bleach/kill everything on the rock and start over again? Time is not an issue. I have all the time in the world to do this.
Would you just put it in a bin with saltwater,flow and a heater with NO other animals in it? My issue with this is could the vermetids etc be dormant and then somehow "reanimate" when I then try to put it in the new tank and start the cycle or is that enough to starve them out and die off?
I know this new tank or any tank for that matter with wont be completely
"sterile" because I am transferring over my fish and a few coral (which I plan to inspect carefully), I just want the best outcome.

Side question: would putting my coral in a frag tank for a month or 2 before I bring it over to the new tank be even more beneficial? Lots of turf algae on the rocks around the coral , Should I just chip the coral off and reglue ?
The rock- if it still live, you can run it in a tub in the dark (blackout) with heater and circulation. Algae should dissipate without light. vermetids- Pick entire shell casing/tub with needlenose pliers.

OP
OP
linkedsilas

linkedsilas

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rock- if it still live, you can run it in a tub in the dark (blackout) with heater and circulation. Algae should dissipate without light. vermetids- Pick entire shell casing/tub with needlenose pliers.
its infested, i dont know if I would be able to get every single one with how they are dispersed in the rocks etc.
I assume if nothing is in there it will eventually starve out and then I could pick off the empty remains.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 154 73.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.8%
Back