Steel Stand Paint

Moray26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I had a steel 2x2 aquarium stand built for my 225 Gallon tank. Trying to figure out what to coat it with to prevent rust and waterproof it. I’m trying to decide on a rubber paint, I know powder coating is the best... but I think it if do a few coats that should work? Can’t decide though which one to use. Plasti Dip, Flex seal or rust oleum.
Let me know your thoughts :)

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
M

Moray26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Didn’t think of either of those options. I’ll check them out!

Lingwendil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience POR15 does not hold up well over time, even when prepped by their recommendations and with their prep wash first. It eventually comes off in sheets and has poor durability when exposed to UV or heavy light.

I would go for a two-part epoxy instead.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience POR15 does not hold up well over time, even when prepped by their recommendations and with their prep wash first. It eventually comes off in sheets and has poor durability when exposed to UV or heavy light.

I would go for a two-part epoxy instead.
Good to know!

snorklr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my old rusty 40 breeder angle iron stand is done in por 15....por 15 is just a moisture cure urethane paint...it really needs the rough surface of rusty metal to adhere to...even with their etch wash( which is designed to roughen and pit the surface) it really doesnt stick well to clean new steel and if any powdery residue is left from the etch wash yes it can peel off...and sunlight (uv) fades it badly so it still needs to be topcoated...and that has to be done right because if you let it dry (harden) completely its too slick and the topcoat wont stick to it either...the bedliner stuff is thick and durable but it leaves a REALLY rough surface and may not be something you want in your living room...i used aerosol plasti dip as my background and was really surprised at how poorly it covered ...i could still see through it in spots and it took MANY coats to cover...used a full can on a 40B...rustoleum used to have fish oil in it so it never really dried completely to try to keep water from soaking through it but i have no idea what the current formulas are like...it may be no better than anything else out there but they have the name....if you cant powder coat(tiny melted plastic beads) i'd vote for automotive grade self etching primer and 2 part epoxy urethane paint...but believe me the saltwater will win in the end...thats why cars rot out

Last edited:

ShepherdReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if power coating will be suitable for saltwater. Just a thought, we are planning on a monster build and all the info is helpful.

OP
OP
M

Moray26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up going with a anti rust base coat on the stand. Followed by 2 coats of liquid rubber (pretty much the same thing as pond armour). I’m going to try to finish it off with a coat of appliance epoxy. But I’m going to do a test piece to even see if the epoxy will hold or not. I’m extremely happy with the liquid rubber coating. So I’m not too concerned if the epoxy works or not. All of this was under $100 as opposed to spending a few hundred on the powder coat. Nice thing to is that you can always add more to the stand after it’s been set up if you wanted to.

Al915

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ended up going with a anti rust base coat on the stand. Followed by 2 coats of liquid rubber (pretty much the same thing as pond armour). I’m going to try to finish it off with a coat of appliance epoxy. But I’m going to do a test piece to even see if the epoxy will hold or not. I’m extremely happy with the liquid rubber coating. So I’m not too concerned if the epoxy works or not. All of this was under $100 as opposed to spending a few hundred on the powder coat. Nice thing to is that you can always add more to the stand after it’s been set up if you wanted to.
Which epoxy did you go with, I'm going with por 15, and want to use an epoxy over the por 15, and id like to end it with a bed liner.

OP
OP
M

Moray26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Which epoxy did you go with, I'm going with por 15, and want to use an epoxy over the por 15, and id like to end it with a bed liner.
I ended up going with an appliance epoxy. I read others who did the same with success. I like the outcome of it!

OP
OP
M

Moray26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets see some pics of this outcome my friend
1EDCC662-97F7-4CA1-BDDA-FEC423FA5389.jpeg
Here is my test piece I did. It’s only on the top right now. Stand is almost complete. Just doing a few coats. The water on the test piece though just slides off. Ignore the paint lines. The appliance epoxy sticks very well to the rubber paint and provides a nice shine to it as well.

buck27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1EDCC662-97F7-4CA1-BDDA-FEC423FA5389.jpeg
Here is my test piece I did. It’s only on the top right now. Stand is almost complete. Just doing a few coats. The water on the test piece though just slides off. Ignore the paint lines. The appliance epoxy sticks very well to the rubber paint and provides a nice shine to it as well.
I just bought the white appliance epoxy for my stand. I am doing a couple coats of primer, light sanding, then epoxy.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 7 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 15 17.4%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 57 66.3%
  • Neither.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 4.7%
Back