Still struggling with phosphates...

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I measured my phosphates tonight with a Hannah ULR Phosphate checker... It is still .35 : (

I have started listening to that number... and made some changes to my feeding routine. I am expecting it to come down more now...

I am also using PhosGaurd right now. 200 gallon tank, 2 cups in a mesh bag, high flow area of my sump... change it every 4 days.

I have made changes to my feeding routine (I just repeatEd that) I have!

I like feeding my fish a lot! I don’t know why... I think most of us do... I am also feeding my CUC... when I feed, the food is gone in less than 5 minutes now... it is hard to find a balance.

Kryptonian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you! At about 3 daily feedings + a snack and phos and nitrate started building.. Started running chemipure out of the mesh back in a reactor in sump rated for 100 gal gfo and came across a very positive difference. Just a thought. Had to rinse in RODI to get the extra small pieces out as they get stuck in the reactor sponges.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you! At about 3 daily feedings + a snack and phos and nitrate started building.. Started running chemipure out of the mesh back in a reactor in sump rated for 100 gal gfo and came across a very positive difference. Just a thought. Had to rinse in RODI to get the extra small pieces out as they get stuck in the reactor sponges.
I think I need a more aggressive means of removing Phosphates in an effort to offset my own behaviors

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I measured my phosphates tonight with a Hannah ULR Phosphate checker... It is still .35 : (

I have started listening to that number... and made some changes to my feeding routine. I am expecting it to come down more now...

I am also using PhosGaurd right now. 200 gallon tank, 2 cups in a mesh bag, high flow area of my sump... change it every 4 days.

I like feeding my fish a lot! I don’t know why... I think most of us do... I am also feeding my CUC... when I feed, the food is gone in less than 5 minutes now... it is hard to find a balance.
Why are you concerned about the phosphate? Coral growth?

ReefRy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I need a more aggressive means of removing Phosphates in an effort to offset my own behaviors
Ive used phosguard for years on my freshwater systems and had solid results. It was less effective on the reef tank, however, so I switched to rowaphos and have seen huge improvements. It's tough to measure/dose at first, but once you get it figured out you can essentially decide how much po4 to remove. From one over-feeder to another, give it a shot. You'll definitely see the difference.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, coral growth... I am moving to an SPS dominant tank. Phosphates are supposed to be at like... .01 right? It’s at .35 right now.
We like to talk confidently about the correct phosphate level. The target talked about most is 0.03 ppm PO4. There are plenty of examples of successful reefs at 0.1 ppm and higher. The origin of this target is the study on a limited number of coral species. Maybe shoot for 0.03 but be flexible on the high side, letting coral health and growth guide PO4 maintenance.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive used phosguard for years on my freshwater systems and had solid results. It was less effective on the reef tank, however, so I switched to rowaphos and have seen huge improvements. It's tough to measure/dose at first, but once you get it figured out you can essentially decide how much po4 to remove. From one over-feeder to another, give it a shot. You'll definitely see the difference.
I will try it

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We like to talk confidently about the correct phosphate level. The target talked about most is 0.03 ppm PO4. There are plenty of examples of successful reefs at 0.1 ppm and higher. The origin of this target is the study on a limited number of coral species. Maybe shoot for 0.03 but be flexible on the high side, letting coral health and growth guide PO4 maintenance.
I’d be quite happy if I can get down to .1 : )

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RODI water tests out at .05... It’s a brand new BRS 7 stage RODI system... after I mix the salt in, that goes up to .14 I am starting off in a hole

MarineVet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My RODI water tests out at .05... It’s a brand new BRS 7 stage RODI system... after I mix the salt in, that goes up to .14 I am starting off in a hole

What salt are you using? Feeding or the introduction of phosphate in your RODI and salt are your issues. Likely both.

Jilly92

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Skip a day or 2 of feeding a week.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip a day or 2 of feeding a week.
Depending on livestock, there's a danger that they'll look for something else to eat.
Someone was watching my tank while I was away. Came back to missing corals, I suspect they weren't feeding as instructed.
I do have a couple of reef safe with caution butt&#@!.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What salt are you using? Feeding or the introduction of phosphate in your RODI and salt are your issues. Likely both.
I have made recent changes to my feeding habits that should start helping. I feed frozen foods... I’ve started defrosting them in a small glass of tank water and dumping it all thru a net to drain off the liquid parts. ...give the net a little squeeze to get more liquid off. I have reduced amounts... a little. When I feed everything is gone in less than 5 minutes. I was also making a mistake with Nori.. I was basically feeding that 24/7... now when they do get it, I only leave it for 4 hours.

This is the salt I am using.

7C70B202-3248-4BE1-A65D-B43FEA73E682.jpeg

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the feeding is the bigger issue if you do the math.
10% wc at .14 goes down to .014 delta to total gallons, every week or 2 depending on wc schedule. Peanuts.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back