Still waiting for reply from Marine Depot regarding DC-Runner 9.2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Robert@MD

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Wow! It seems ridiculous they would make the controller with a jack that is not available anywhere. Could this be a type of cable that is readily used in Europe but not in the states maybe? I'll have to look at the controller and see if it opens up easy enough where a 3.5mm jack could be installed in place of the stock 3.45mm DC jack. Then a normal cable could be used. If they're using a DC barrel jack, I would assume there's only 2 wires needed. Before I do anything, I'll wait for your diy cable test.

The last thing I would recommend is swap the jack out on the pump. Making or adapting with a cable is going to be the best option. Funny thing is, I cannot see this type of plug being common anywhere in the world! LOL. More information to come soon. Give us about a week to get the parts ordered and build the cable.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Wow! It seems ridiculous they would make the controller with a jack that is not available anywhere. Could this be a type of cable that is readily used in Europe but not in the states maybe? I'll have to look at the controller and see if it opens up easy enough where a 3.5mm jack could be installed in place of the stock 3.45mm DC jack. Then a normal cable could be used. If they're using a DC barrel jack, I would assume there's only 2 wires needed. Before I do anything, I'll wait for your diy cable test.

Hey ReefHog! The 1.35mm x 3.5mm male DC plug works, though the one I initially ordered is a bit too long.

The 0-10v control via apex seems to work quite well. One aspect that was slightly confusing is that the display does not indicate that 0-10v is being utilized- the user controls are still illuminated yet do not function. So don’t look there for confirmation whether it’s working or not— check at the pump.

When I confirm a more optimal plug (correct length), I’ll post the link for you! But this works. I’m using one channel of the the Apex 2 channel dimming cable.

@MarineDepot

luKCiTu.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ReefHog

ReefHog

View Badges
Reaction score
Hey ReefHog! The 1.35mm x 3.5mm male DC plug works, though the one I initially ordered is a bit too long.

The 0-10v control via apex seems to work quite well. One aspect that was slightly confusing is that the display does not indicate that 0-10v is being utilized- the user controls are still illuminated yet do not function. So don’t look there for confirmation whether it’s working or not— check at the pump.

When I confirm a more optimal plug (correct length), I’ll post the link for you! But this works. I’m using one channel of the the Apex 2 channel dimming cable.

@MarineDepot
I found that the power cord for my Amazon Alexa which is the 3.5mm barrel DC power cord fits all-be-it a little too long like yours. So what your saying is when it's hooked up to your Apex, the pump ramps up and down through the Apex but the LEDs on the controller don't reflect this, correct? I will be using the Apex FMK flow monitoring kit so that shouldn't be an issue.

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
I found that the power cord for my Amazon Alexa which is the 3.5mm barrel DC power cord fits all-be-it a little too long like yours. So what your saying is when it's hooked up to your Apex, the pump ramps up and down through the Apex but the LEDs on the controller don't reflect this, correct? I will be using the Apex FMK flow monitoring kit so that shouldn't be an issue.

Yes, that’s exactly what I mean. The 0-10v takes precedence. Although you can still press buttons on the controller and change the LED indicators, the pump ignores that while 0-10v control is active.

Roger re FMK. It would be really cool to have the 0-10v/pump adjust itself to keep a constant amount of flow, compensating for adding requirement or getting clogged over time :eek:

Jay Newsome

View Badges
Reaction score
Please keep me updated as i just got the email from aqua medic stating i have to "diy" my own connector smh

MarineDepot

Build a Better Aquarium
View Badges
Reaction score
Please keep me updated as i just got the email from aqua medic stating i have to "diy" my own connector smh

Yes, this is going to be the case as they are not making a cable for it. @TheHarold found the best solution with a 3.5mm plug using an Apex cable and you can check out the .PDF instructions he made.

I have asked for a plug suggestion and a source for said plug from Aqua Medic to see if they have a different plug in mind but I am fairly certain that making a 3.5mm connection is going to be your best choice going forward. I am sure @TheHarold will make one for you if you ask nicely. ;)

Feel free to ping me with anything else!

-Robert @ MD

Attachments

• Aquamedic_10V.pdf
    306.6 KB · Views: 315

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
So much for German Engineering ;Wacky

ChrisH

View Badges
Reaction score
The linked instructions indicate using an Apex 2-channel cable and fitting a plug. Can't a standard RJ45 ethernet cable be used instead, and chop one end off? If so, which wires are the ones to connect to positive and negative in the plug? Anyone know? I could buy an Apex cable, or I have lots of ethernet cables lying around.

Or does this need a heavier standard of cable in the first place?

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
I could buy an Apex cable, or I have lots of ethernet cables lying around.
Or does this need a heavier standard of cable in the first place?
It looks to be a std power connector for CCTV cameras
1564429563775.png

ChrisH

View Badges
Reaction score
Thanks. I was wondering about the other end though. Standard ethernet RJ45 or else it won't connect with the Apex, but in that case whether a normal ethernet cable was usable by only using two of the wires (and which two for which polarity).

Macca_75

View Badges
Reaction score
Has anyone adapted one of the x2 series to a Profilux L port? @Vinny@GHLUSA - do you know if GHL have anything for these other than the breakout boxes and a DIY cable?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back