Stock List Insights

InsaneClownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here’s a tentative stock list for my upcoming build- feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Current-
Lavender Tang
Blue/green Chromis
Maine Mocha Clown

Additions-
Splendid Pintail Fairy Wrasse
Mcosker’s Flasher Wrasse
Black Leopard Wrasse
Carberryi Anthias
Bartlett’s Anthias
Watei Anthias
Whitleyi Spitfin Anthias
Exquisite Firefish
Yasha Goby
Midget Chromis

System- 40x40x17 Cube 111g
NYOs Quantum Skimmer
Bashsea Bio Reactor
20g show Fuge

Total system volume with sump approx 143g

Deep water reef mainly LPS with some softies- deep water spectrum.

Heavy feedings planned.

Feedback is greatly appreciated!

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, seems fine to me. Nothing screams out as overly aggressive and the tank size looks like it should be good!

Just make sure to have a lid for the wrasses. I don't think anthias have issues together but thats the only thing I would look into.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things- @Slocke and @i cant think are good people to ask about wrasse compatibility!

Ive been cautioned to not have multiple types of anthias in one tank since they are harem fish, male to multiple females, but a few people on here do so hopefully they can comment! I think @vetteguy53081 has a few different kinds so maybe he can pop on and give his two cents! Cause if you can those are all gorgeous!!!

Also MUST SEE THE LAVENDER TANG. These guys are so underrated and beautiful! Muse see a picture!!! :)

Ps whats a midget chromis? Never heard of them!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So here’s a tentative stock list for my upcoming build- feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Current-
Lavender Tang
Blue/green Chromis
Maine Mocha Clown

Additions-
Mcosker’s Flasher Wrasse
Black Leopard Wrasse
Carberryi Anthias
Bartlett’s Anthias
Watei Anthias
Whitleyi Spitfin Anthias
Exquisite Firefish
Yasha Goby
Midget Chromis

NYOs Quantum Skimmer
Bashsea Bio Reactor
20g show Fuge

Heavy feedings planned.

While the mix seems good, anthias may squabble and the tank dimensions are concerning as many of these fish are quite active

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Current-
Lavender Tang
Blue/green Chromis
Maine Mocha Clown

Additions-
Mcosker’s Flasher Wrasse
Black Leopard Wrasse
Carberryi Anthias
Bartlett’s Anthias
Watei Anthias
Whitleyi Spitfin Anthias
Exquisite Firefish
Yasha Goby
Midget Chromis

NYOs Quantum Skimmer
Bashsea Bio Reactor
20g show Fuge

Heavy feedings planned.

I wouldn’t recommend the Black Leopard if this is your first time with a leopard. Go for a Blue Star or Meleagris as your first one. These guys fare better in captivity whilst Blacks tend to be much more iffy.
The Pintail is a good choice but get them added in now as once you start getting an active tank they tend to wither away and not do well.
The Mccoskeri is also a good choice, not much to say there other than keep a good level of rock and coral down at the bottom, make sure your flasher and fairy wrasses have a good amount of swim room at the top as they will display.

The only thing to add is… why only 3? Why not 4-5?

As for the Chromis, dont mix them if you’ve got an established group already. That doesn’t tend to go well.
The Firefish should also be added relatively early for the same reason as the Pintail.

OP
OP
InsaneClownFish

InsaneClownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t recommend the Black Leopard if this is your first time with a leopard. Go for a Blue Star or Meleagris as your first one. These guys fare better in captivity whilst Blacks tend to be much more iffy.
The Pintail is a good choice but get them added in now as once you start getting an active tank they tend to wither away and not do well.
The Mccoskeri is also a good choice, not much to say there other than keep a good level of rock and coral down at the bottom, make sure your flasher and fairy wrasses have a good amount of swim room at the top as they will display.

The only thing to add is… why only 3? Why not 4-5?

As for the Chromis, dont mix them if you’ve got an established group already. That doesn’t tend to go well.
The Firefish should also be added relatively early for the same reason as the Pintail.
Thank you for the fantastic response. I have kept a leopard before and I’ve had great success. However, as the story goes it was happy and active in my 100g stock tank with lots of LR for months and months until one day it vanished for good. This was after a tank xfer.

As far as the numbers I was trying to be modest with my fish stocking, but you’re correct, with the setup I am running I can easily add a couple more.

I was going to do only one firefish, and just keep the one Chromis I have. I’ve witnessed the slow kill off of the pack in my last reef.

My second choice to the pintail is a red velvet fairy- a bit hardier? Perhaps both down the road?

It’s funny you mentioned the rockwork. This will be a shallow reef, but simulating deep water. I’m planning my rockwork around creating nice little open atols around the bottom and very Little Rock higher up.

I’m going to check out the blue star and meleagris rn/ ty for the suggestions!

Last edited:
OP
OP
InsaneClownFish

InsaneClownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, seems fine to me. Nothing screams out as overly aggressive and the tank size looks like it should be good!

Just make sure to have a lid for the wrasses. I don't think anthias have issues together but thats the only thing I would look into.
Thank you for the response! Oh the anthias most certainly do

OP
OP
InsaneClownFish

InsaneClownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things- @Slocke and @i cant think are good people to ask about wrasse compatibility!

Ive been cautioned to not have multiple types of anthias in one tank since they are harem fish, male to multiple females, but a few people on here do so hopefully they can comment! I think @vetteguy53081 has a few different kinds so maybe he can pop on and give his two cents! Cause if you can those are all gorgeous!!!

Also MUST SEE THE LAVENDER TANG. These guys are so underrated and beautiful! Muse see a picture!!! :)

I’ve personally never had issues with different anthias in the same tank as long as-
The tank is large enough
You’re selective about the ones you mix
I’m guessing peoples’ mileage may vary :cool::cool:

Last edited:
OP
OP
InsaneClownFish

InsaneClownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I’ll try to get a picture- she’s dang fast and elusive . I agree, one of the most underrated fish in the entire hobby.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for the fantastic response. I have kept a leopard before and I’ve had great success. However, as the story goes it was happy and active in my 100g stock tank with lots of LR for months and months until one day it vanished for good. This was after a tank xfer.

As far as the numbers I was trying to be modest with my fish stocking, but you’re are correct, with the setup I am running I can easily add a couple more.

I was going to do only one firefish, and just keep the one Chromis I have. I’ve witnessed the slow kill off of the pack in my last reef.

My second choice to the pintail is a red velvet fairy- a bit hardier? Perhaps both down the road?

It’s funny you mentioned the rockwork. This will be a shallow reef, but simulating deep water. I’m planning my rockwork around creating nice little open atols around the bottom and very Little Rock higher up.

I’m going to check out the blue star and meleagris rn/ ty for the suggestions!
I assume you mean this guy;
IMG_8072.jpeg

If so, this is one of the few fairies I have watched go into a tank filled to the brim with tangs and be unbothered. I’ve got a tank that’s the opposite and have a wrasse dominant tank so I can generally keep the shyer species like isosceles (although my isosceles is in my 3’ nano). I have 1 bristletooth tang and 3 angels but the angels are all fairly peaceful species, the tang is iffy at times but generally ignores wrasses.

OP
OP
InsaneClownFish

InsaneClownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume you mean this guy;
IMG_8072.jpeg

If so, this is one of the few fairies I have watched go into a tank filled to the brim with tangs and be unbothered. I’ve got a tank that’s the opposite and have a wrasse dominant tank so I can generally keep the shyer species like isosceles (although my isosceles is in my 3’ nano). I have 1 bristletooth tang and 3 angels but the angels are all fairly peaceful species, the tang is iffy at times but generally ignores wrasses.
Yes, that’s the one! How do you feel about this combo-
Blue Star
Pintail
Mckoskers
Red Velvet

I’ll only have the one Tang- the lavender

OP
OP
InsaneClownFish

InsaneClownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Well I tried to get a video to no avail, but I did snag a great clip of one of my serpents out for a stroll lol

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve personally never had issues with different anthias in the same tank as long as-
The tank is large enough
You’re selective about the ones you mix
I’m guessing peoples’ mileage may vary :cool::cool:
Ah cool! Thats awesome maybe Ill try this I love anthias!

OP
OP
InsaneClownFish

InsaneClownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s the new list-
Mcosker’s Flasher Wrasse
Red Velvet Fairy Wrasse
Blue Star Wrasse
Yellow Coris Wrasse
Carberryi Anthias
Bartlett’s Anthias
Watei Anthias
Whitleyi Spitfin Anthias
Exquisite Firefish
Yasha Goby

Attachments

• IMG_0792.jpeg
    IMG_0792.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0797.jpeg
    IMG_0797.jpeg
    100 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0801.jpeg
    IMG_0801.jpeg
    116.9 KB · Views: 10

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that’s the one! How do you feel about this combo-
Blue Star
Pintail
Mckoskers
Red Velvet

I’ll only have the one Tang- the lavender
Should be a good combo, add the Pintail and Blue star first then add the mccosker and red velvet (or if possible, add all 4 at once :))

OP
OP
InsaneClownFish

InsaneClownFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don’t blink!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 28 15.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 107 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.6%
Back