Stocking a 7ft - advice

Sequest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for any advice, concern or issues with my proposed stocking for a new 7ft tank.
Was not looking to add Clowns to this tank, my blood sucking duo in the old tank is enough.

Tangs:
  • White Tail Bristeltooth
  • Tomini
  • Freckle Face (Acanthurus Maculiceps)
I also want to add a yellow tang to the list, but they are stupidly hard to get in Australia and when they do pop up, expect $1500+. Cant justify it. Not after particularly mean fish, and some of the other zebrasomas i was looking at get big (sailfin).

Angelfish:
  • Swallowtail (1-2) (male + female)
  • Bellus (female)
  • Wantanabei (female)
I have read that you can mix them and one of them is likely to transition to a male if no male exists, but unsure if i should expect bickering from having this many or some other issues.

Wrasse:
  • Carpenters Flasher Wrasse
  • Lunate Fairy Wrasse
  • Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
  • Fine Spotted Fairy Wrasse
  • Ruby Longfin fairy Wrasse
  • Orangeback Fairy Wrasse
  • Adorned Wrasse
  • Yellow-Breasted Tamarin Wrasse
  • Yellow Wrasse (coris)

Its a lot of wrasses. I referred to the wrasse guys list, so the fairys are all within separate complexes.

Others:
  • Yellow Assessor
  • Lawnmower Blenny
  • Zebra Barred Dartfish (3 of them)
  • Foxface. Like the magnificent, but heard not so great at algae control so may go for a Lo
  • Wheeleri Shrimp Goby + shrimp
  • Red line cleaner shrimp
Concerned the wheeler's goby and zebra barred dartfish may not like each other, but hopes that the wheeler's will spend most of its time on the sand with his room mate and hopefully ignore the zebra's. Likewise the Zebra's ignore the wheeler's.
Mixed thoughts on a school of zebra dartfish. Some forum responses show this might not be an issue to have multiples, others say caution or do not.
Question is whether i can even get Zebra's here in Australia, they appear to be rarely sold.

Backup Fish:
These are other fish i am concidering if some of the above are simply not available to be purchased in Australia.
  • Royal Gramma
  • Randall's Assessor
  • Lyretail Anthias (low on list)
  • Midas Blenny
  • Some clownfish
  • Purple Tilefish (instead of Zebra's if they are not available)
  • Flame Hawkfish (probably not - likely to kill shrimp)
  • New Guinea Wrasse (Black-backed Tamarin) (Anampses meleagrides) (If yellow-breasted tamarin is not available)

In terms of introduction I am thinking five waves;
  1. Dartfish + assessor
  2. Flasher/Fairy wrasses + red line cleaner shrimp
  3. The larger wrasses + foxface
  4. Angels
  5. Tangs + blenny

Cheers.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking for any advice, concern or issues with my proposed stocking for a new 7ft tank.
Was not looking to add Clowns to this tank, my blood sucking duo in the old tank is enough.

Tangs:
  • White Tail Bristeltooth
  • Tomini
  • Freckle Face (Acanthurus Maculiceps)
I also want to add a yellow tang to the list, but they are stupidly hard to get in Australia and when they do pop up, expect $1500+. Cant justify it. Not after particularly mean fish, and some of the other zebrasomas i was looking at get big (sailfin).

Angelfish:
  • Swallowtail (1-2) (male + female)
  • Bellus (female)
  • Wantanabei (female)
I have read that you can mix them and one of them is likely to transition to a male if no male exists, but unsure if i should expect bickering from having this many or some other issues.

Wrasse:
  • Lunate Fairy Wrasse
  • Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
  • Adorned Wrasse
  • Yellow Wrasse (coris)

Its a lot of wrasses. I referred to the wrasse guys list, so the fairys are all within separate complexes.

Others:
  • Yellow Assessor
  • Lawnmower Blenny
  • Zebra Barred Dartfish (3 of them)
  • Foxface. Like the magnificent, but heard not so great at algae control so may go for a Lo
  • Wheeleri Shrimp Goby + shrimp
  • Red line cleaner shrimp
Concerned the wheeler's goby and zebra barred dartfish may not like each other, but hopes that the wheeler's will spend most of its time on the sand with his room mate and hopefully ignore the zebra's. Likewise the Zebra's ignore the wheeler's.
Mixed thoughts on a school of zebra dartfish. Some forum responses show this might not be an issue to have multiples, others say caution or do not.
Question is whether i can even get Zebra's here in Australia, they appear to be rarely sold.

Backup Fish:
These are other fish i am concidering if some of the above are simply not available to be purchased in Australia.
  • Royal Gramma
  • Randall's Assessor
  • Lyretail Anthias (low on list)
  • Midas Blenny
  • Some clownfish
  • Purple Tilefish (instead of Zebra's if they are not available)
  • Flame Hawkfish (probably not - likely to kill shrimp)
  • New Guinea Wrasse (Black-backed Tamarin) (Anampses meleagrides) (If yellow-breasted tamarin is not available)

In terms of introduction I am thinking five waves;
  1. Dartfish + assessor
  2. Flasher/Fairy wrasses + red line cleaner shrimp
  3. The larger wrasses + foxface
  4. Angels
  5. Tangs + blenny

Cheers.
I can help with the wrasses more than the other fish so I’ll start there and let others chime in with the other fish.
Wrasse:
  • Lunate Fairy Wrasse
  • Exquisite Fairy Wrasse
  • Adorned Wrasse
  • Yellow Wrasse (coris)
Firstly, the Fine Spotted Fairy (Cirrhilabrus punctatus) could become fairly more boisterous towards your other wrasses. The same can occur from the Orange Back Fairy (Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis). I would personally swap the Punctatus out for another wrasse but the Aurantidorsalis should be alright.
The Lunate and Exqusitus will need to go in early unless you have an acclimation box as they are fairly risky to add into a hyperactive tank if theyve not been in one at the LFS.
Adorned (Halichoeres cosmetus) and Yellow Wrasses (Halichoeres Chrysus) should be alright just add them both young and at the same time.

The Yellow Breasted Tamarin (Anampses twistii) and Freedom Wrasse (Anampses neoguinaicus) should be able to both go in together. And if you wanted the meleagrides then you can also add that to the others. Anampses is generally a peaceful genus that get along with each other.

I also recommend looking into Macropharyngodon/Xenojulis as they’re stunning especially once established. Also, why only one flasher? Get a couple different species!

OP
OP
S

Sequest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can help with the wrasses more than the other fish so I’ll start there and let others chime in with the other fish.

Firstly, the Fine Spotted Fairy (Cirrhilabrus punctatus) could become fairly more boisterous towards your other wrasses. The same can occur from the Orange Back Fairy (Cirrhilabrus aurantidorsalis). I would personally swap the Punctatus out for another wrasse but the Aurantidorsalis should be alright.
The Lunate and Exqusitus will need to go in early unless you have an acclimation box as they are fairly risky to add into a hyperactive tank if theyve not been in one at the LFS.
Adorned (Halichoeres cosmetus) and Yellow Wrasses (Halichoeres Chrysus) should be alright just add them both young and at the same time.

The Yellow Breasted Tamarin (Anampses twistii) and Freedom Wrasse (Anampses neoguinaicus) should be able to both go in together. And if you wanted the meleagrides then you can also add that to the others. Anampses is generally a peaceful genus that get along with each other.

I also recommend looking into Macropharyngodon/Xenojulis as they’re stunning especially once established. Also, why only one flasher? Get a couple different species!
I thought you could only have one flasher (Paracheilinus) in a tank, or possibly two in a larger, hence i only went with one.
I know the McCosker's flasher is rare in Australia.

I did not add a macropharyngodonto my list as I know they are poor shippers, although my LFS actually has a few in stock right now... Will add to my list!
Ill have another go over my wrasse list.
Thanks for the info.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought you could only have one flasher (Paracheilinus) in a tank, or possibly two in a larger, hence i only went with one.
I know the McCosker's flasher is rare in Australia.
Nope!! Many of us wrasse geeks have 3-4 flashers in a tank, I know I’ve had 3 at once in a 4’ tank and in my new tank (5’) I plan for atleast 2 more to add to my Carpenteri.

Muppy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Out of interest, is the tank a Cade 2100?

Some of the wrasse on your list are very uncommon in Australia. Mainly Lunate and Yellow breasted tamarin. The yellow tail tamarin is much more common.

Also, I don't know if you have looked already, but the white tail kole tang is pretty uncommon here, and generally over $1000 when available. What about a purple Tang instead? That would fit the tank nicely.

I know a few people with magnificent foxfaces, and they behave just the same as any other Foxface. They destroy algae. Fiji Foxface is also really cool.

As for the Zebra dartfish, I don't know anything about them, but I'm pretty sure they almost always have them in stock at Gallery Aquatica Wynnum.

OP
OP
S

Sequest

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some of the wrasse on your list are very uncommon in Australia. Mainly Lunate and Yellow breasted tamarin. The yellow tail tamarin is much more common.

Also, I don't know if you have looked already, but the white tail kole tang is pretty uncommon here, and generally over $1000 when available. What about a purple Tang instead? That would fit the tank nicely.

I know a few people with magnificent foxfaces, and they behave just the same as any other Foxface. They destroy algae. Fiji Foxface is also really cool.

As for the Zebra dartfish, I don't know anything about them, but I'm pretty sure they almost always have them in stock at Gallery Aquatica Wynnum.

Its a Red Sea S1000

My plan today is go bug my LFS and see what on my list they can or cannot get in, and rough pricing. Then go from there.
Most of the fish in the list i was able to find some website that at some point sold them, so thats a start at least.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tangs are all in the bristletooth tang family, they might get nasty with eachother. Usually best to have them of different family class or different shapes/colors. Angels are also in the same scientific class, not sure if they can mix like that, never kept those kinds of angels so maybe someone else knows! I just know my regal angel was madder than heck when I added my french angel. They get along now but it took a minute! Just my two cents

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Uh white tails usually are 250-300. Whoever is selling that white tail for that way over the price. They are not that uncommon, I see one at my LFS all the time and they are available online usually but still a pricey fish

Edit just saw you were in Australia! That makes more sense, my bad

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back