Stocking a Red Sea Reefer S700…

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The time is near, next week I’m upgrading from my 4’ reef to a stunning 5’x2’x2’ tank. I’m incredibly excited to play with the height. But here’s the best part… Stocking!!

What fish would you have in a 5’ tank?

Aside from a wrasse dominant tank I don’t really have an idea of other fish. Currently I have this stocking list. There’s fish I may not move over (such as the Tang) but I’m stuck for what else to go for.
An Achilles Tang is the dream but honestly I’m unsure if that’ll become a reality in this tank.
Coral wise I am going for the coral I can keep in this tank with the fish I have currently (such as Hammers, Mushrooms, Leathers etc.).

If you can’t tell I’m not a huge tang lover and do always love alternatives but there are tangs like the Achilles I would absolutely go with if I had a chance.

For anyone who doesn’t know what I have, here’s the fish going into the 5’ tank for now (The Tang may go if I’m pushed into the idea of an Achilles as I’d only want 1 tang at a time).
IMG_9791.jpeg

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bump!

Any opinions on if the Achilles is doable?
I’ve been told mostly yes but would like some other opinions - again, not solidified with it but it’s a potential candidate for a final addition.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised no one has an opinion yet. As you probably know, I always have opinions about stocking lists.

I really like your list of fishes going in. Your 2 larger angels, tang, and foxface will appreciate the 5' tank, I'm sure.

I'll be a Negative Nancy about the Achilles. Because of their size and activity, there are very few instances that I would recommend them for a hobbyist tank. I know why anyone would want one, as they are special looking. Sometimes I would recommend a powder brown as a possible substitute. I'm not sure I would put one in your tank.

Knowing you (as well as I can know a fellow fish tank message board person), I think your passion lies with a bunch of different wrasses...fairies, flashers, Halichoeres. So a bunch of wrasses, combined with the showstoppers you can see across the room (regal + majestic angels, mag fox) would be what I would do. I'd be pretty tempted to not add any other bigger and potentially aggressive or highly active fishes that will mess up your Feng shui. The happiness of the regal, majestic, and that butterfly would be highest priority to me. I personally love tangs, but I'm pretty careful about combos.

I might add a couple perchers or lower water fishes. Long nose hawk and pink spot watchman goby are my favorites.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised no one has an opinion yet. As you probably know, I always have opinions about stocking lists.

I really like your list of fishes going in. Your 2 larger angels, tang, and foxface will appreciate the 5' tank, I'm sure.

I'll be a Negative Nancy about the Achilles. Because of their size and activity, there are very few instances that I would recommend them for a hobbyist tank. I know why anyone would want one, as they are special looking. Sometimes I would recommend a powder brown as a possible substitute. I'm not sure I would put one in your tank.

Knowing you (as well as I can know a fellow fish tank message board person), I think your passion lies with a bunch of different wrasses...fairies, flashers, Halichoeres. So a bunch of wrasses, combined with the showstoppers you can see across the room (regal + majestic angels, mag fox) would be what I would do. I'd be pretty tempted to not add any other bigger and potentially aggressive or highly active fishes that will mess up your Feng shui. The happiness of the regal, majestic, and that butterfly would be highest priority to me. I personally love tangs, but I'm pretty careful about combos.

I might add a couple perchers or lower water fishes. Long nose hawk and pink spot watchman goby are my favorites.
Gobies are definitely on the list! I love seeing how they just watch the tank and you.

As you said, my main area of passion lies within the wrasses. They tend to come first (Hence I want to remove the Jade as he’s become too boisterous recently). I’ve also had thoughts on pairing and harems of certain wrasses like my Radiant and maybe Leopards.

I probably wouldn’t have more than 4 larger fish - if I went an Achilles it would be the largest one at 7-8 inches with the rest maxing out 5-6. I definitely agree with the swimming and I have a plan to design the rockwork around my Foxface (who can be a very active swimmer when given the chance).

I think my plan with this is not to go psycho with fish and focus on a more natural appearance with the coral and show stopping fish being the focal point. This is why I think wrasses would look great - they aren’t always there and actually can make a tank look empty. But with the Angels and Fox combo, I get that stunning appearance of just 2-3 fish and the coral. Then every so often out comes the displays of colour from the wrasses.

Moray26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs I think are always a nice suggestion! Maybe a Yellow or purple tang? You could also go with a white tail bristle tooth tang. In terms of the Achilles. I would pass on it if i were you. They use a lot of space and can be aggressive. I know my Achilles uses every square inch of my tank. I have a 225g and he's only 4 inches right now. I question if Id be able to keep him in the long run. I know you have a flameback angel but I've always been a fan of the flame angel. I have a flame and a coral beauty. Get along well. Added the flame second.

OP
OP
i cant think

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tangs I think are always a nice suggestion! Maybe a Yellow or purple tang? You could also go with a white tail bristle tooth tang. In terms of the Achilles. I would pass on it if i were you. They use a lot of space and can be aggressive. I know my Achilles uses every square inch of my tank. I have a 225g and he's only 4 inches right now. I question if Id be able to keep him in the long run. I know you have a flameback angel but I've always been a fan of the flame angel. I have a flame and a coral beauty. Get along well. Added the flame second.
Honestly, I don’t really like the Zebrasoma genus of tang. I had a scopas terrorise everything and I’ve had the same with Yellows (Albeit I couldn’t even think about the price they’re at now).

Flame angels are gorgeous, I just rarely see them now.

Moray26

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's fair. What about a copperband? Tough to get eating, but once established they are good. Another fish to look at are anthias. Great movement fish. Try looking into my personal fav which is the borbonius anthias.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 41 31.3%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back