Stocking concern on 125g

ElectrumGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a fairly well-established 125G (6 foot variant) aquarium that has been continuously running for 6+ years.

For mechanical filtration, within a 25 gallon sump, I am utilizing a:
1. Red Sea Reefmat 400
1. Reef Octopus INT150 SSS

I currently have:
1x Regal Tang (2-3 inches)
1x Purple Tang (fully grown)
1x Sailfin Tang (2 inches)
1x Flame angel
1x Orchid Dottyback
2x Clownfish
2x Azure Damselfish

All fish are disease free with no signs of stress with no new additions in 3-4 months.
I am considering adding a Magnificent Foxface. Would I be overstocked if I did this?

Thank you for your feedback!

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

These three are your issue. Especially that purple. It will probably be all out war once you add the FF not to mention its only a standard 125 so you are a bit out of room. I wouldn't add until i get another tank. But that's me.

OP
OP
E

ElectrumGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

These three are your issue. Especially that purple. It will probably be all out war once you add the FF not to mention its only a standard 125 so you are a bit out of room. I wouldn't add until i get another tank. But that's me.
Hello, thanks for your response. These 3 are together right now without issue. Can you elaborate on why adding a foxface would cause a new issue?

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
6ft is nice. 18 inches wide is tight for big fish.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 180 with a Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, and Hippo Tang. They all tolerate each other. I added a Foxface, and it was chaos. The tang gang is real. The three of them are not welcoming; they are aggressive and territorial to any new(big) fish, I add.

There are a couple of things you can do to avoid this. One is redoing your rock work so they don't have established territories. Another is putting a mirror on the side of the tank to pull focus. Or you can use an acclimation box to introduce the new fish slowly.

I would advise against it, but each tank is different.

OP
OP
E

ElectrumGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks again for all your feedback guys. I'm going to opt to not add a Foxface. Would it be acceptable to add a few more Azure Damselfish? I was thinking 3~5 more.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, thanks for your response. These 3 are together right now without issue. Can you elaborate on why adding a foxface would cause a new issue?
They will go after the FF. A local lady near me added a FF to her well established tang gang and the FF is barely hanging in there. I think the moral of the story is don’t put the fish in that situation. Unless you rearrange the rock work or get a new tank.
Thanks again for all your feedback guys. I'm going to opt to not add a Foxface. Would it be acceptable to add a few more Azure Damselfish? I was thinking 3~5 more.
I would opt for the springeri. They are a bit more peaceful. I have 6 in my tank. They pick on each other but no battles. Imo add a anthias to mine keeps the damsels in check to.

OP
OP
E

ElectrumGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will go after the FF. A local lady near me added a FF to her well established tang gang and the FF is barely hanging in there. I think the moral of the story is don’t put the fish in that situation. Unless you rearrange the rock work or get a new tank.

I would opt for the springeri. They are a bit more peaceful. I have 6 in my tank. They pick on each other but no battles. Imo add a anthias to mine keeps the damsels in check to.
Thanks! What do you mean by “springeri”? I’m not familiar with that damselfish.

resortez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both rearrangement of the aquascape & mirrors will work if you decide on adding the foxface. Do feed the tangs heavy beforehand. The purple would be my biggest concern & most certainly is at the top of the pecking order but it shouldn’t be a massive issue as long as you keep throwing off claimed territory. I have had success with your scenario in the past but it did require to rescape the tank 2-3 times until all fish began to feed as one group.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 111 81.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back