Stocking ideas for 700 gallon mixed reef

Moonraker76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I’m in the planning stages for our new reef system I figured before we commission the build it would make sense to plan the stocking list.

Display will be 2650 litres (700 US gallon) with dimensions of 102x44x36.

In addition to this we will have a fish quarantine, observation tank with no coral just rock and a combined invert QT/coral QT/grow tank.

Fish QT: 590 litres (156 US Gallons) 48x28x28
Observation: 850 litres (225 US Gallon) 54x32x30
Invert/coral QT: 485 litres (130 US Gallon) 44x28x24.

I am converting a garage into what will become a fish room with everything in there except the display tank that will be on the wall the other side of the wall between the house and the grange so filtration through that wall to the main tank.

Anyway onto the desired fish list for the main system.

We want to base it around Tangs and Mandarins being the centre piece and will add around that starting with small more hardy types as the tank establishes.

Would these tangs be compatible in a tank of that size?

7 Yellow tangs
3 Regal tangs
Tomini tang
Convict tang
Orange shoulder tang
Mustard Tang
Silver Spot Bristletooth tang
Clown Tang

A pair of green mandarins.

11 green chromis will be one of the earlier additions.

The display and refugium will be seeded with copepods, amphipods, mysis for 3-4 weeks before any fish go in and that may be longer with QT.

Will be mixed reef and inverts/CUC will go in as and when needed.

But will have a couple of cleaner shrimp and a couple of fire shrimp and at some point will hope to add a clam.

Any other suggestions for what would also be good in the system? Will likely be a couple of clowns and cardinals in there too.

How many mandarins could exist in a system that size and wary of competition for pods so want to stay clear of something that will out compete the mandarins.

Just want to make sure the tangs can live together, go in in the right order as we want them as the focal point. In our old house our tank was too small to have tangs so we’ve gone big this time with a full system in the converted double garage.

Gregg @ ADP

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always have mixed feelings on multiple yellow tangs. 700g is a good sized tank, but pretty small compared to the ocean. I’ve done multiple yellows in much bigger tanks, and it seems like over time, they just start going after each other to the point where you end up with one really nice looking yellow, and several with parts/most of their fins missing.

I get it…it’s a nice visual. But in my experience, over time, it just doesn’t work. Not that mixing genera of tangs is a guarantee of success, but it seems to work much better.

Also, 11 green chromis will pretty quickly be 7-8 green chromis, and then eventually 5, and so on. You can get away with adding something closer to a proper school so that it’s less heirarchal. 11 chromis will have a clear top rung of the ladder, and clear bottom rungs.

OP
OP
M

Moonraker76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We haven’t had Tangs before because of the smaller tank size at our previous house was only 4.5ft and this will be 8.

So looking to get as much advice and views as possible from people with experience. My daughter wants the yellows and I want the Regals! We will be looking after the system between us.

With the Chromis we had a group of five in the previous tank and didn’t have any problems at all so thought bigger tank we could have a bigger group.

Mandarins are what I really want though. Love watching them.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the list looks pretty good maybe 5 yellows instead of 7 but maybe more would be better all fish have their own personalities but could split aggression that way. Clown tangs can be jerks I would avoid that one. As far as mandarins go I have no clue but imagine you could easily do 3.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We haven’t had Tangs before because of the smaller tank size at our previous house was only 4.5ft and this will be 8.

So looking to get as much advice and views as possible from people with experience. My daughter wants the yellows and I want the Regals! We will be looking after the system between us.

With the Chromis we had a group of five in the previous tank and didn’t have any problems at all so thought bigger tank we could have a bigger group.

Mandarins are what I really want though. Love watching them.
Looks fine to me, clown tangs can be nasty. Should be the last edition!

Bakedpwn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you can get lucky and get a male bird wrasse that doesnt eat coral that would be a cool fish

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I’m in the planning stages for our new reef system I figured before we commission the build it would make sense to plan the stocking list.

In addition to this we will have a fish quarantine, observation tank with no coral just rock and a combined invert QT/coral QT/grow tank.

I am converting a garage into what will become a fish room with everything in there except the display tank that will be on the wall the other side of the wall between the house and the grange so filtration through that wall to the main tank.

We want to base it around Tangs and Mandarins being the centre piece and will add around that starting with small more hardy types as the tank establishes.

7 Yellow tangs
3 Regal tangs
Tomini tang
Convict tang
Orange shoulder tang
Mustard Tang
Clown Tang

The display and refugium will be seeded with copepods, amphipods, mysis for 3-4 weeks before any fish go in and that may be longer with QT.

But will have a couple of cleaner shrimp and a couple of fire shrimp and at some point will hope to add a clam.

Any other suggestions for what would also be good in the system? Will likely be a couple of clowns and cardinals in there too.

How many mandarins could exist in a system that size and wary of competition for pods so want to stay clear of something that will out compete the mandarins.

Just want to make sure the tangs can live together, go in in the right order as we want them as the focal point. In our old house our tank was too small to have tangs so we’ve gone big this time with a full system in the converted double garage.
Maybe I overlooked it, but how big will the sump and fuge be? Is that included in the 700 gallons? Imo the amount of mandarins would be just as dictated by the size of your fuge as the size of your display

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
were discussing that in the planning. Calcium reactor and protein skinner external. The sump system about 400 gallons with the fuge about 70 gallon or so.
With that info I'd say you could probably do 2 or maybe even 3 mated pairs of mandarin, but if youre going for a calcium reactor I assmue youre going to have some SPS and I'd suggest a halichoeres wrasse and a sixline wrasse for some pest control which would probably limit you to 1-2 pair

OP
OP
M

Moonraker76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With that info I'd say you could probably do 2 or maybe even 3 mated pairs of mandarin, but if youre going for a calcium reactor I assmue youre going to have some SPS and I'd suggest a halichoeres wrasse and a sixline wrasse for some pest control which would probably limit you to 1-2 pair
Yeah the plan is for sps which is why we have the calcium reactor in the build. Will those wrasses affect the mandarins with pods?

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the plan is for sps which is why we have the calcium reactor in the build. Will those wrasses affect the mandarins with pods?
They will have a big effect on pods which is why I suggested fewer mandarins if you do add the wrasse. It's a personal preference thing. More of a fish you like or a few less of a fish you like to make things easier on yourself with some aggressive pest eating fish.

NotReefsafe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if mandarins are your main goal, why not set up a 60 gallon LOADED with macro algae and pods, and have a pair of mandarins be the only fish?

Agree on the chromis eventually killing each other.

For additional fish, consider a pair of firefish, rainford goby, hawkfish, foxface, or a colony of neon gobies.

OP
OP
M

Moonraker76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are still options. Would a mandarin and sea horse tank work? Could they co exist?

The observation tank I think could morph.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

7 Yellow tangs
3 Regal tangs
Tomini tang
Convict tang
Orange shoulder tang
Mustard Tang
Clown Tang

Instead of a group of yellows (that’s pretty basic if I’m honest - everyone has a group of them) go for a group of convicts!!
They seem to group better in general and also have a much better algae munching ability.

Also, throw in many wrasses (at least 25 Fairy and Flasher alone is what I’d do). They will add colour like no other fish as well as activity. Just make sure to have a lid - all fish can jump but some are more likely to jump than others.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 141 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.0%
Back