Stocking List for 32 gallon Fish-only Tank

Mizu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my fish tank is finally arriving today (Fluval flex 32.5 gallon 32.5 x 15.75 x 15.35) and i'm going to start a fishless cycle soon. I created a stocking list for my tank and I wanted to know if its reasonable or if there are any fish I should swap out/drop. I'll try to list them in the order I plan on adding them in. This tank is a fish-only aquarium, I might add some macroalgae if that is recommended but otherwise I'm not adding any reef or coral stuff (just sand & rock, i'm not using reef rock if that matters)

Stocking List:
Day 1:
1x Green Clown Goby
1x yasha Goby (with a shrimp?)

Later on:
1x helfrichi firefish

Lyretail Blue Gudgeon Dartfish and/or Zebra dartfish (can I do 2-3 of these?)

1x Longnose Atlantic Butterflyfish (I plan on having lots of rock)
1x Saddle Valentini Puffer (This one I might add in last or second to last like 6+ months down the road, depending on how it needs to be fed)

1x Coral beauty Angelfish (will probably be last so it doesn't get aggressive?)

Any suggestions would be really helpful! Would this tank be considered full? I was told fish-only tanks can have more inhabitants but not sure if that is true.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 fish is a 30g is going to be pushing it. Also wouldn't add a shrimp that early.

When judging how many fish also keep in mind that each one will need its own cave that isn't shared with other fish. Kind of like a home for each one.

OP
OP
Mizu

Mizu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noted - I'll make sure to aquascape lots of caves!

In terms of the actual fish, are they all reasonable to keep in my tank? and can I keep snails with the pufferfish?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noted - I'll make sure to aquascape lots of caves!

In terms of the actual fish, are they all reasonable to keep in my tank? and can I keep snails with the pufferfish?
32g means 22g with rocks. No way a coral beauty will survive there and most likely not the puffer either. You need about 5 small colorful fish.

OP
OP
Mizu

Mizu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood - thanks for being honest about the coral beauty. If I decided to do different types of dart fish, would they school/swim around together if introduced at the same time?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Understood - thanks for being honest about the coral beauty. If I decided to do different types of dart fish, would they school/swim around together if introduced at the same time?
I'm not familiar with dart fish but in order to maximize the space you have its best to try to find a few fish for each zone. Some are top swimmers, some cruise the middle and some are bottom rock dwellers. Fish stocking is also highly connected to how robust your filtration system is also such as sump size, skimmer, export, etc...

OP
OP
Mizu

Mizu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I was hoping I could keep at least one of the longnose/puffer/coral beauty as a centerpiece fish, does the longnose get too big or does it need more space to swim?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I was hoping I could keep at least one of the longnose/puffer/coral beauty as a centerpiece fish, does the longnose get too big or does it need more space to swim?
Good places to see recommended tank sizes are drreefsquarantinedfish.com and liveaquaria.com

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
everyone above has great advice +1 on no coral beauty especially. Mine is a bully even in my 70g.

Another big thing is to be purposeful on spacing out the additions, I wouldn't add more than one fish every 2 weeks, and even then 1 month space is better, especially in a small tank and even more so if you don't have real ocean live rock.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah that tank is pretty small. drop the butterfly, coral beauty and puffer from the list and focus on small fish inverts.
small gobies, wrasses, blennies etc. for inverts shrimps fun CUC and others.

I would cruse the build threads in the nano and small tank section to get an idea.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, my fish tank is finally arriving today (Fluval flex 32.5 gallon 32.5 x 15.75 x 15.35) and i'm going to start a fishless cycle soon. I created a stocking list for my tank and I wanted to know if its reasonable or if there are any fish I should swap out/drop. I'll try to list them in the order I plan on adding them in. This tank is a fish-only aquarium, I might add some macroalgae if that is recommended but otherwise I'm not adding any reef or coral stuff (just sand & rock, i'm not using reef rock if that matters)

Stocking List:
Day 1:
1x Green Clown Goby
1x yasha Goby (with a shrimp?)

Later on:
1x helfrichi firefish

Lyretail Blue Gudgeon Dartfish and/or Zebra dartfish (can I do 2-3 of these?)

1x Longnose Atlantic Butterflyfish (I plan on having lots of rock)
1x Saddle Valentini Puffer (This one I might add in last or second to last like 6+ months down the road, depending on how it needs to be fed)

1x Coral beauty Angelfish (will probably be last so it doesn't get aggressive?)

Any suggestions would be really helpful! Would this tank be considered full? I was told fish-only tanks can have more inhabitants but not sure if that is true.
No angelfish in that tank, way too small. In my 32 biocube I have 2 clowns, a blenny, a sleeper goby and a firefish.

OP
OP
Mizu

Mizu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you everyone for the advice!

Im been working on an updated stocking list, the only thing im not too sure about is how to determine which zones the fish will use, but right now im thinking about doing a nice group of dartfish! If I deiced to get about 4 dartfish would I introduce them all at the same time to they became a "school"?

Updated Stocking list:

2x Blue Gudgeon Dartfish, Lyretail
2x Zebra Barred Dartfish

1x Helfrichi Firefish

I think those 5 would take up the middle/top zones? so could I put some sand sifting Gobies on the bottom like this:

1x Green Clown Goby
1x Yasha Goby w/ shrimp

Also can I keep snails and Macroalgae with this selection?

Thanks again for the advice!

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes snails and macro would be fine with this list.

I personally am not sure about mixing dart fish as I have never done it.
maybe some one will chime in.

does that tank have a lid? if not you will need one.

OP
OP
Mizu

Mizu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some research and I think the actual dartfish are very peaceful and enjoy groups, im just not sure if the Firefish will be peaceful? Are they aggressive towards all Goby or just firefish?

In terms on invertibrates, how and when would I add those to the aquarium?

Could I add two Harlequin Shrimp to this tank?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some research and I think the actual dartfish are very peaceful and enjoy groups, im just not sure if the Firefish will be peaceful? Are they aggressive towards all Goby or just firefish?

In terms on invertibrates, how and when would I add those to the aquarium?

Could I add two Harlequin Shrimp to this tank?
Firefish are harmless and cryptic

OP
OP
Mizu

Mizu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh thats great to hear! Is the firefish considered a dartfish or will it swim off on its own? I'm not really sure if I should add the dartfish in all at the same time?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh thats great to hear! Is the firefish considered a dartfish or will it swim off on its own? I'm not really sure if I should add the dartfish in all at the same time?
They find a little rock cave and hide a lot never venturing very far from it.

20211125_144003.jpg

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO 7 fish is a lot in a 30 gallon, I only kept 5 in my 32.

The firefish may swim up higher occasionally, but they still need their own cave in the rocks and they usually stay close to the rocks.

Also you are trusting all the firefish will get along. You might get lucky, but you might also get 5 rowdy males.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.6%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 180 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back