Stockning list for 120 help

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m looking for help with my stocking list and want to hear some inputs if my list is too extensive for my 120gallon tank. 125cm wide to 65 deep.

1x Yellow Watchmangoby
2x Firefish
2x Clownfish
1x Royal Gramma
2x Benggai Cardinal
1x Mandarin
1x longnose Hawkfish
1x Tomini tang
1x whitetail bristletooth
1x leopard wrasse

I also appreciate some help in the order of introduction

And yes I’m new to the hobby so please don’t be gentle
The two tangs will not get along. Even in 6’ tanks these two fish struggle to get along with eachother. I’d go for one and not both.

Everything else seems alright, but an FTS of the tank and what species you’re going with would be more helpful - especially with “Leopard Wrasse”. This could be any of 12 species.

Also, a common misconception with Mandarins and Leopards is they’ll outcompete each other (Specifically the Leopard outcompetes the Mandarin). This is false, leopard wrasses can wait for their next meal, a mandarin cannot. Here’s my 3’x16”x1’ nano tank and I have a Leopard and Mandarin in here. Both are nice and fat.
IMG_9319.jpeg

OP
OP
H

HSLSaltwater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The two tangs will not get along. Even in 6’ tanks these two fish struggle to get along with eachother. I’d go for one and not both.

Everything else seems alright, but an FTS of the tank and what species you’re going with would be more helpful - especially with “Leopard Wrasse”. This could be any of 12 species.

Also, a common misconception with Mandarins and Leopards is they’ll outcompete each other (Specifically the Leopard outcompetes the Mandarin). This is false, leopard wrasses can wait for their next meal, a mandarin cannot. Here’s my 3’x16”x1’ nano tank and I have a Leopard and Mandarin in here. Both are nice and fat.
IMG_9319.jpeg
Thanks a lot for your input. The leopard I want is either the Blue star one or the Meleagris

OP
OP
H

HSLSaltwater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_9319.jpeg
Talking about the Tangs is it better to change one of them to a Zebrasoma?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okey, but if I go for 2 is it smarter to add them at the same time then? Haven’t really decided about the tangs yet. Just want one Bristle tooth for algae (and looks).
It’s best to add both at the same time yes, I would think a bit more on tangs personally but I also do find many to be overrated after caring for every species in that genus.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot for your input. The leopard I want is either the Blue star one or the Meleagris
Honestly, if you’re fairly new then wait 3-4 months for adding a leopard but you could also add a leopard into a fairly new tank if you get the perfect specimen (I’ve done it personally).

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stock looks okay to me with a few exceptions:

With the tank not being six feet I wouldnt add two bristletooth tangs, I would pick one, they can be nasty to each other if cramped. Also one firefish, and make sure you find someone who can sex the cardinals otherwise if you get two males they will kill each other! Wait on the leopard wrasse; they do better in mature tanks and can be hard to keep as a starter fish

OP
OP
H

HSLSaltwater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, if you’re fairly new then wait 3-4 months for adding a leopard but you could also add a leopard into a fairly new tank if you get the perfect specimen (I’ve done it personally).
I’m very new and perfectly fine with waiting 6-12 months or more if it’s necessary to give it the best chance.

OP
OP
H

HSLSaltwater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stock looks okay to me with a few exceptions:

With the tank not being six feet I wouldnt add two bristletooth tangs, I would pick one, they can be nasty to each other if cramped. Also one firefish, and make sure you find someone who can sex the cardinals otherwise if you get two males they will kill each other! Wait on the leopard wrasse; they do better in mature tanks and can be hard to keep as a starter fish
The maximum 1 it is. I’ll probably just add one Cardinal and firefish to make sure it’s not a massacre one day.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The maximum 1 it is. I’ll probably just add one Cardinal and firefish to make sure it’s not a massacre one day.
Yeah saltwater fish are aggressive for no reason. My triggers decided to randomly play frisbee with my starfish today! -.-

OP
OP
H

HSLSaltwater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah saltwater fish are aggressive for no reason. My triggers decided to randomly play frisbee with my starfish today! -.-
I rather have happy fish than a lot that are out for each other. My end goal is a coral scape with at least 1 clown pair and a leopard wrasse meleagris or blue star.
And if it’s not a total havoc a Whitetale

OP
OP
H

HSLSaltwater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I would pick something like a scopus or yellow then either of the two you want.
Thanks for the input
Unfortunately I don’t really like the look of any of these two. Of the Zebrasomas the ones I like are the Gem (to expensive) or the Velifer

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rather have happy fish than a lot that are out for each other. My end goal is a coral scape with at least 1 clown pair and a leopard wrasse meleagris or blue star.
And if it’s not a total havoc a Whitetale
The white tail can go either way. Add last! Ive had two different bristletooth tangs (what a white tail is). One was a huge bullt and had to go. The one I have now is very chill and keeps to himself. Most saltwater fish are semi aggressive but depends on the fish, what you have and when you put them in! I have a peaceful tank (my 70 gallon) and I have an aggressive tank (my 125 gallon display).

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input
Unfortunately I don’t really like the look of any of these two. Of the Zebrasomas the ones I like are the Gem (to expensive) or the Velifer
Thats the problem with most tangs. If they are prettier then they are probably bigger jerks. Keep that in mind.

OP
OP
H

HSLSaltwater

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I would pick something like a scopus or yellow then either of the two you want.
Thanks for the input, but I don’t really like the look of any of these two unfortunately. Of the Zebrasomas the ones I like are the Gem (to expensive) or the Desjardini
The white tail can go either way. Add last! Ive had two different bristletooth tangs (what a white tail is). One was a huge bullt and had to go. The one I have now is very chill and keeps to himself. Most saltwater fish are semi aggressive but depends on the fish, what you have and when you put them in! I have a peaceful tank (my 70 gallon) and I have an aggressive tank (my 125 gallon display).
ill make sure to make him my last purchase and make sure I can relocate him/her in a worst case scenario

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back