Storing a 180 and floor support

USCGReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just acquired a free 180 gallon beauty reef ready with everything but return pump, skimmer, and powerheads.
I will eventually be replacing my 120 with it. I will be painting the stand and trim prior to. Is it ok to let it sit on its back while I am doing the painting and prepping and everything. The bulkheads were pretty locked on and I want to replace them, and it being on its back makes it easier to access as well. Its a flat solid surface, there is also wood trim so no glass touches. Mostly worried about seam pressure.

Also, I will be crawling under to double check placement with my house but if a 120 has been in its spot for 2 years is there any extra precautions I should take to support the extra 60 gallons?

Thanks for any input/advice.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just acquired a free 180 gallon beauty reef ready with everything but return pump, skimmer, and powerheads.
I will eventually be replacing my 120 with it. I will be painting the stand and trim prior to. Is it ok to let it sit on its back while I am doing the painting and prepping and everything. The bulkheads were pretty locked on and I want to replace them, and it being on its back makes it easier to access as well. Its a flat solid surface, there is also wood trim so no glass touches. Mostly worried about seam pressure.

Also, I will be crawling under to double check placement with my house but if a 120 has been in its spot for 2 years is there any extra precautions I should take to support the extra 60 gallons?

Thanks for any input/advice.
I can't speak about the aquarium, so I'll let the glass experts chime in on that.

However, I can speak about floor support. FYI, 60 gallons of water weighs 500 pounds. So, a 180, the water alone weighs 1500 pounds.
On my 125, I did have two supports in my basement underneath the floor for safety. You could look at how the floor boards run and see if you're parallel or perpendicular to them. For me, $50 worth of support was worth not having to worry about waking up to a hole in the floor to the basement.

OP
OP
USCGReefer

USCGReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak about the aquarium, so I'll let the glass experts chime in on that.

However, I can speak about floor support. FYI, 60 gallons of water weighs 500 pounds. So, a 180, the water alone weighs 1500 pounds.
On my 125, I did have two supports in my basement underneath the floor for safety. You could look at how the floor boards run and see if you're parallel or perpendicular to them. For me, $50 worth of support was worth not having to worry about waking up to a hole in the floor to the basement.
Thanks for the reply, Thankfully its not a basement situation, just a crawlspace but I agree. Its better to be safe than sorry, Its an outer wall that its up against. I'll crawl under and confirm that its parallel or what its looking like under there.

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, Thankfully its not a basement situation, just a crawlspace but I agree. Its better to be safe than sorry, Its an outer wall that its up against. I'll crawl under and confirm that its parallel or what its looking like under there.
Actually, you want the tank perpendicular to the floor beams. This spreads the weight across more beams.
And with a crawlspace, adding some support should be even easier/cheaper. Is it concrete under there, or dirt?

OP
OP
USCGReefer

USCGReefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, you want the tank perpendicular to the floor beams. This spreads the weight across more beams.
And with a crawlspace, adding some support should be even easier/cheaper. Is it concrete under there, or dirt?
Pretty certain its dirt but I have been a neglectful homeowner and haven't been under there yet. lol. New tank seems like a good reason to me :)

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty certain its dirt but I have been a neglectful homeowner and haven't been under there yet. lol. New tank seems like a good reason to me :)
Nice! If it is dirt, you'll need to either throw some concrete or some block footings so it doesn't just sink in. Not sure where you are located, but different regions will have different needs.
That's one nice thing about me living in AZ now, no basement! Solid rock and a concrete pad as a foundation.

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 50 40.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 12.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 23 18.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%

Back