Storing Phytoplankton question

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been Thinkin Dinkin and have a question.

If I have several bottles of phytoplankton in my refrigerator waiting for my 120ml daily dose, and I notice some of the phytoplankton has settled such that the top of the bottles are clear water. Can I pour off the clear water from several bottles and combine the remaining solution in a more concentrated phytoplankton?

Thank you

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no. phyto cells will always sink to the bottom and die, they are not able to swim on their own. So that clearness that you see up top is just water, and the green stuff at the bottom is where all the phyto sank and died, its all dead stuff.

you should give your bottles a shake every one or two days, that way the phyto cells stay up in the bottle and it stays fresh.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
no. phyto cells will always sink to the bottom and die, they are not able to swim on their own. So that clearness that you see up top is just water, and the green stuff at the bottom is where all the phyto sank and died, its all dead stuff.

you should give your bottles a shake every one or two days, that way the phyto cells stay up in the bottle and it stays fresh.
not exactly … I’ve used phyto that was weeks old and re-started cultures … so
Yes, you need to shake it up, best at least every other day but no, its probably not dead (or some almost certainly is still alive, assuming you didn’t go weeks and weeks w/o shaking it)

Dinkins Aquatic Gardens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been Thinkin Dinkin and have a question.

If I have several bottles of phytoplankton in my refrigerator waiting for my 120ml daily dose, and I notice some of the phytoplankton has settled such that the top of the bottles are clear water. Can I pour off the clear water from several bottles and combine the remaining solution in a more concentrated phytoplankton?

Thank you
That’s an excellent question, and as others have said it really depends on how long it’s been since you’ve shaken the bottles. If it’s been less than a week AND the phyto still smells good then that would be fine. If it hasn’t been shaken in more than a week, there’s an increased risk that the phyto died (the cells will smother each other as they settle on top of one another).

OP
OP
GuppyHJD

GuppyHJD

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s an excellent question, and as others have said it really depends on how long it’s been since you’ve shaken the bottles. If it’s been less than a week AND the phyto still smells good then that would be fine. If it hasn’t been shaken in more than a week, there’s an increased risk that the phyto died (the cells will smother each other as they settle on top of one another).
The phyto is shaken every 1-2 days.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 76 43.7%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 60 34.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 10 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.1%
Back