Storm Season among us. Power outage readiness!!!

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes heat your house, for many winter storms knock out power for a day or more and if it is 32 or lower out your house will be in the 50s after a day or less. No inverter will help then without heat.

I live up in Canada, we know about winter storms I tell ya!

Thought about going generator, just don’t know enough about them. I can live with the house hitting 12C like it did during the Niagara ice storm last year, pipes stayed in the safe zone, but more worried about the reef. Maybe I’ll ask my HVAC guy if there’s a generator solution that taps into one of our unused Nat Gas valves.

Lebowski_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a type of generator that I can hook up directly to a natural gas line, safely?

I've been thinking of ways to keep our nat gas powered furnace running during power outages. I know a gasoline unit would work too, but if there's something that can tie in safely to our nat gas, that would be interesting to me.

c_ronius

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
power station.jpg

My UPS system in my garage, on the other side of the wall to my main DT. My tanks no longer turn off. 200AH @ 51VDC. LifePo4 batteries.

In Florida the hurricanes are a real issue, and I'm in a 2nd tier flood zone. I've had water lapping my garage door (only 6" lower than the main house), while my neighbors houses are about a foot lower have all been flooded. I have had power out for 1-2 days, and mandatory evac combined with power outage for 30 hours just 2 years ago.

Also, it is usually ultra hot and humid. Without home AC or the tank chiller/fans, water can get deadly hot in just a couple of hours.

Step 1 was a generator, which works, but it is far from automated. My wife really hates me mucking with gas all the time as well (I have a checkered history with it, and last year my nephew was badly burned with gas). Constant fumes and noise in the yard, etc. But it has saved the fish many times to this point. I love my Honda2200.

About a year ago I decided to spend the coin on a fully automated battery system. I have watched battery technology evolve, and have been waiting years for LIFE PO4 batteries to finally come down in price to where I personally feel it's worth it. We have a fully off grid system at my camp, and I have been familiar with these systems for some time now. I still consider this very expensive, I have a bit over 6K in the battery/inverter/control system, plus my install labor, and everything on the AC side. It was not cheap, but it should last a minimum of 10 years, possibly much longer.

Currently 3 individual circuits, powering both of my aquarium systems, home network and internet. There is another circuit so I can plug my fridge in with an extension cord as well. The Victron inverter/charger has a UPS function for seamless automatic transfer of power from grid to battery and back, all electronics remain on.

With the aquariums running at full tilt... halides, chiller, and everything else, It will run for about 40 hours. I can add more batteries at about 20 hours more each. But I also have my GHL system monitoring the grid, and I can create an eco mode when there is a grid failure, where It turns off most of the lighting, some pumps, etc. It can run for almost 3 days like this. Fully automated. It will switch back to grid and recharge as necessary when reliable power comes back on. If I am there I can recharge the system with my generator. Also ready to add in solar panels. I love it!

Regarding flooding... Everything in the electrical system (as long as it is manually unplugged from its grid feed), AND the new tank/sump I am building will withstand or be above a 3' flood in the house. So, I can leave my house, lock the door, and my aquarium should be able to automatically withstand no power and a 3' flood in my living room. Overkill? I have kept reefs in my home for over 30 years, and it seems that's not gonna change till I croak, So I figured it was time for the investment. I love my fish like family.

I'd be happy to elaborate more if anyone has any questions. And I'm open to any and all criticisms.

benbalter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think all of you are overlooking a simple solution! All but the heaters are 12 or 24 volt powered. You can hook a battery straight to the pumps. Then you don't have the power lost of a inverter. Then you could use that solar panel to charge the battery. I live in Houston and we had a huge freeze here. Your houses are not built to deal with the cold. I had a generator that ran the light and the aquariums. I house never went below 60 degrees.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ve talked about a Whole House Generator, 10 to 12k, Yikes! Generator, + Auto Start, + Double Isolation Interlocks + Propane Tank + Burial of that Propane Tank + Electrician +Permits. Top that off with a Negative Value on Home Resale.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We’ve talked about a Whole House Generator, 10 to 12k, Yikes! Generator, + Auto Start, + Double Isolation Interlocks + Propane Tank + Burial of that Propane Tank + Electrician +Permits. Top that off with a Negative Value on Home Resale.

Negative? Really? I can see it maybe not increasing value but does it actually go down?

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Whole house is def. the way to go and it doesn’t have to be a 20kw generator. Generac makes a 7.5kw house generator called the powerpact. It sells for less than $2000 With auto start and auto transfer with weekly test features.

If you are handy and can do the install, add $300 in parts and you have a relatively cheap solution to power your house. Some will say, “but that won’t power your a/c.” Purchase a soft start micro air 368 which reduces the high amperage start load and that powerpact will also run your a/c.

It runs my whole house minus my electric range. Before that I was using a Honda eu2000 modified to run on natural gas($175). I tee’d off my gas meter and it ran beautifully. You just have to be home to start it up.

IMG_0782.jpeg

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Negative? Really? I can see it maybe not increasing value but does it actually go down?
Yes, buyers see that, and they think about unreliable power sources, and added maintenance cost of the Generator Systems. I have my HVAC Masters License, doesn’t do me a bit of good for self install, even though I worked on UPS for Main Frame Computer Rooms. I don’t know if they passed this law, yet, but they were talking about two year permits and mandatory Re-inspections on Home Generator/Power **Systems. Utilities got to exercise over control us. **Includes Home Power Solar and Wind.

OLDSUN

Polyp Hospice Worker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whole house is def. the way to go and it doesn’t have to be a 20kw generator. Generac makes a 7.5kw house generator called the powerpact. It sells for less than $2000 With auto start and auto transfer with weekly test features.

If you are handy and can do the install, add $300 in parts and you have a relatively cheap solution to power your house. Some will say, “but that won’t power your a/c.” Purchase a soft start micro air 368 which reduces the high amperage start load and that powerpact will also run your a/c.

It runs my whole house minus my electric range. Before that I was using a Honda eu2000 modified to run on natural gas($175). I tee’d off my gas meter and it ran beautifully. You just have to be home to start it up.

IMG_0782.jpeg
Generac is undoubtably the best home generator. Set-up and switching have been proven to be unfailing.

Chuck Foltz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small Ryobi backup generator and 2 gallons of gas will last you a full 24 hours. Inexpensive insurance if you ask me.

jmatt

Just gettin' started. Again.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I'm sure it's been mentioned in this thread a bunch (which I can't search) can anyone recommend an inverter I can attach to a running car to provide temporary power? No idea what wattage or features I'd need. Would need to be able to accommodate two pumps, lights reefmat, etc.

I have battery operated bubblers for short term. I have a small generator for long term. But I'm looking for something to cover a 2 - 6 hour time span that will let me just power the tank with a vehicle.

thecitadel

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my 220, I use a Bluetti solar back up. Just running my return and 2 wave makers allows me 3 days of run time. Barely using 30w. Even on a cloudy day, I generate more than 30w back to the battery. If no sun, I can charge it in an hour in the car or 45 minutes on someone's generator lol. Best thing I ever bought as it's also an instant UPS. I had issues here in fl where I live with random power dips, and it would cause my return pump to back siphon and lose its prime. Originally bought it for its UPS feature, quickly became a savior when I lost power for 3 days last storm. Can also be upgraded and add large packs and cost under $500 for just the basic system, ready to go. Highly suggest especially for small tanks.

boogiesnap

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree on costs, mine was 20K. Strongly disagree on the negative home value. Homes here with one sell both higher and faster. Absolute fact. If you can afford it. It’s the no brainer of no brainers. Big IF. I personally don’t have one at the new house; simply cannot afford it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back