Strange Blue Bubble things

cherith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found strange blue bubble things in the crevices of my rock. Does anyone know what they are?
IMG_1626.jpeg

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found strange blue bubble things in the crevices of my rock. Does anyone know what they are?
IMG_1626.jpeg
Hi, I have seen you have had trouble with you lighting system/ settings and adjustments this may contribute to the growth of this bubble algae.

Do you have a full tank shot (pictures)

The reason I ask is generally this algae grows from above/ on top of aquascape /light source, other factors include nutrient's, flow rate etc.... but it's mainly light in my opinion
Any direct sunlight from a window can contribute to this growth also.

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bubble algae,
Just curious, what happens if you pop them please

Nothing! The idea that they release spores has been thoroughly refuted. The ONLY thing that may happen if they are popped is that, if the popped bubble tissue is not completely removed from the rock, it might grow back.

That's it! :)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
cherith

cherith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have seen you have had trouble with you lighting system/ settings and adjustments this may contribute to the growth of this bubble algae.

Do you have a full tank shot (pictures)

The reason I ask is generally this algae grows from above/ on top of aquascape /light source, other factors include nutrient's, flow rate etc.... but it's mainly light in my opinion
Any direct sunlight from a window can contribute to this growth also.
My lights are still out of control. I don’t know how to set them. The diatom invasion is over—just some growing on the walls now, not making mud in the tank anymore. Three corals look dead and one is dying, The Duncan’s are growing like weeds. The Palythoa are somewhat happy—but have lost lots of zooxanthellae since I brought them home. A flower pot coral is still hanging in there. Some other coral (I forgot its name) is alive too—but very new. Here is my tank: both sides and the ceiling above it.
Makes sense :/
Thanks folks. People warned me how hard this would be—I didn’t listed!

Attachments

• IMG_1627.jpeg
    IMG_1627.jpeg
    210.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1628.jpeg
    IMG_1628.jpeg
    248.1 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_1629.jpeg
    IMG_1629.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 30
Upvote 0

Rick's Reviews

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's O2 that's released
Nothing! The idea that they release spores has been thoroughly refuted. The ONLY thing that may happen if they are popped is that, if the popped bubble tissue is not completely removed from the rock, it might grow back.

That's it! :)
It's O2 you know... oxygen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
cherith

cherith

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man, that’s cold! “Moron”? But I agree people shouldn’t going around spouting facts from sources they haven’t verified. But when a “fact” is so commonly held to be true, it would be difficult to find a trustworthy source. I’ve struggled with this problem myself, finding so many contradictory “facts” in internet posts, and with me being so new, I am unable to distinguish between proven fact and folklore. I’ve decided the Monterey Bay Aquarium library is the best source, though I’ve never tried to use it, but I think I’ll be at it soon. I need to know the PAR requirement of my corals—too many of my gorgeous creatures are dying. I guess I need a PAR meter too since I don’t know how to set my light without a meter to tell me how I did—or else by using my corals as experiments to find out which lives or dies. I think it is cheaper to buy a meter than to learn by charting the deaths of my expensive corals per experimental setting.

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's O2 that's released
It's O2 you know... oxygen.
Moron. Check you refuted claims
Um, I don't think I'm the moron. Bubble algae is not filled with air... what, you think they are the same "bubbles" you blow with gum??

Upvote 0

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
people shouldn’t going around spouting facts from sources they haven’t verified.
No "spouting" here. I'm happy to link as many verified sources as you like... One thing to think about though; a popular means of eliminating bubble algae is by adding emerald crabs or similar species. How do you think the crab consumes the algae without popping the bubbles?

Upvote 0

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No "spouting" here. I'm happy to link as many verified sources as you like... One thing to think about though; a popular means of eliminating bubble algae is by adding emerald crabs or similar species. How do you think the crab consumes the algae without popping the bubbles?
Little crab dude inhales it like a balloon I bet and then walks around talking all funny to everybody else in the tank

Upvote 0

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 59 73.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back