Strange issue with high calcium

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a very strange issue happening with my Calcium going up even though I am not dosing any.

My tank is only about 4 months old. 2 weeks ago when i measured calcium it was at 412. I decided to raise it to 450 and used the BRS calculator to figure out how much to dose. I did about 2/3 of what they recommended over the course of 2 days and measured again. It was at 470... i stopped dosing at this time. Fast forward a week and it's at 580... that was last night. I did a 10% water change and this morning tested again and it's at 595. I use the Hanna checker for this.

I use Tropic Marin Pro Salt. I will make another batch just so that i can test the salt.
My dkh is at 9 and i dose a little bit of alk to maintain that.
My water looks a bit cloudy today.

I have seen a few threads like this one without any real answers, but I'm hopeful you folks can help me think of something that might be contributing to this.
BTW i tested my RODI and it shows 16ppm. I ordered new resin to get that down to 1ppm.

OP
OP
tdyrkacz

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you are correct. I took a water sample to a LFS and they measured 440... I actually think i ran into this same issue 7 or so years ago when i first got into the hobby... I think the problem is I was trying to use RODI water instead of deionized water. I learned this 7 years ago and had to learn it again today.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the problem is I was trying to use RODI water instead of deionized water.
I don't know what you mean here. Those are the same thing for our purposes. RODI is Reverse Osmosis then Deionized water.

It sounds like the Hanna Ca checker is dealing you fits. You might consider getting a kit that's a simple titration, like API or Salifert.

OP
OP
tdyrkacz

tdyrkacz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a chemist so can't really speak to the differences between RODI and deionized, but i was under the impression they are different. I have also seen a number of threads today with people dealing with this exact issue and many of them started having better results when they used store bought deionized water instead of their RODI... in fact this was me 7 years ago. I did not have any problems with the hanna checker after that. I will try doing the same again to see if i can get results consistent with other test kits.

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a chemist so can't really speak to the differences between RODI and deionized, but i was under the impression they are different.
You mean distilled, maybe?

Anyway, I suspect that most reefers make our own RODI water at home. If the TDS of your RODI is 16 ppm, then that does need addressed until you see a value closer to zero.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 106 43.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 83 33.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 40 16.3%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 13 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.6%
Back