Strange snail?

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

This snail was there since I started my tank. I saw it once and them disapeared for months until today.

Is he a good cuc? If not, how donI get rid of it? I attached a photo of the real size so you can see how big it really is compared to my macro photos. Anyone know what this thing really is?

I won’t add more snails if it eats other snails because I lost 4 out 5 turbos already.

IMG_7089.jpeg IMG_7091.jpeg IMG_7090.jpeg IMG_7088.jpeg IMG_0567.jpeg

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They can't flip themselves over and when they notice food gets short they give up and die.
Thanks! I don’t plan on adding more though. I’ll keep the snails that I have and that’s it. I believe that I have enough cuc in my tank (chitons, amphipods, copepods, munid isopods, asterinas, bristleworms, spaghetti worm and peanut worm).

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think this is a bumblebee snail - there are a number of translucent snails like this; most are tiny parasites like Chrysallida spp. pyramid snails and Odostomia and Vitreolina spp. eulimnid snails. There are some non-parasitic ones too, such as some litiopid snails, which are herbivores related to Cerith snails.

Unfortunately, the only ones I can eliminate at this point are Vitreolina spp. - there are some species of Chrysallida, Odostomia, and litiopid snails that superficially resemble this, and I haven't learned how to distinguish them yet.

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think this is a bumblebee snail - there are a number of translucent snails like this; most are tiny parasites like Chrysallida spp. pyramid snails and Odostomia and Vitreolina spp. eulimnid snails. There are some non-parasitic ones too, such as some litiopid snails, which are herbivores related to Cerith snails.

Unfortunately, the only ones I can eliminate at this point are Vitreolina spp. - there are some species of Chrysallida, Odostomia, and litiopid snails that superficially resemble this, and I haven't learned how to distinguish them yet.
Thanks! What would the one I took would be? If it’s bad, I’ll need to take it out or kill it.

ISpeakForTheSeas

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! What would the one I took would be? If it’s bad, I’ll need to take it out or kill it.
I'm not sure. If you can clear, close-up pics of the spire/pinnacle (the end of the shell) and of the opening of the shell (where the snail pops out) from various angles (with the snail withdrawn into the shell for the pics of the opening), then I can try to ID it, but there's no guarantees I'd be able to at the moment.

I've still got a lot of learning to do with snail taxonomy, morphology, and ID at this point.

OP
OP
Oiseaufeu

Oiseaufeu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure. If you can clear, close-up pics of the spire/pinnacle (the end of the shell) and of the opening of the shell (where the snail pops out) from various angles (with the snail withdrawn into the shell for the pics of the opening), then I can try to ID it, but there's no guarantees I'd be able to at the moment.

I've still got a lot of learning to do with snail taxonomy, morphology, and ID at this point.
I’ll try that, but I don’t want to put my Canon rebel t7 in water. I do try to shoot it at angles where the reflection doesn’t show up on the glass as well.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 52 33.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 42 26.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 32 20.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 29 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back