Strawberry Conch MIA

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a Conch which has been living his best life for awhile. I decided to increase the sand bed to 2.5” to accommodate a Melanarus wrasse. In doing so, I must have buried the Conch with some sand and now it’s MIA. I’ve tried to find it in the sand bed but can’t seem to locate it, which is odd, as it’s a couple inches in length. Anyhow, I’m hoping this is normal behaviour in general as my guy typically surfaces every night to forage. Whose long can it live without surfacing to eat and this this common?

Thanks all.

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
almost a week.
Allright, that's pretty long. Does it have enough to eat? Also, they are decent escape artists. Have you check the outdid of the tank, or have yoy noticed any unpleasant smell? You should also check the overflow/sump area if you have one, but pretty unlikely it would end up there.

OP
OP
Ziggy17

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think he’s had enough to eat. But none of the usual suspects that go along with an invert death.
No bumble bee snails all in the same area eating a corpse
No phosphate spikes
Nothing foul smelling

Hoping it reappears, it was a cool little invert.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly doubt the conch would be affected by being buried in deeper sand.
My tiger sand conch has disappeared several times for 2-3 weeks and has always reappeared.
I've had mine for about 3 years (across 2 tanks) and think mine just gets full and takes a rest for a while every so often.
*if it happens to burry itself in front, you can likely find an eyeball popping up but if it's in the back of the tank, no chance

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back