Stray voltage

LuisA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a little tingle tday while working on the tank. so i took the voltage meter out and found the tank to be at 107vac. I started to unplug things to try and find the culprit. I found a that one of my heaters added 80vac to the tank. that unit is now unplugged and not being used. But as for the other 27vac i cut power to the strip that has the my maxi jets, mag12, skimmer and other heater and that dropped to 1vac. if i make my mag external that would drop the vac to about 25vac. If i take my ther heater out and have it sitting in the sump about 3/4's in that pulls another 4vac's. I am also pulling my skimmer and making that external. thats about 2vacs. what can i do about the maxi jets?
thanks
i have yet to test the amps running thru the system that will be tomorrow

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of the heater & everything else that is producing stray current. NONE of your components should be putting current into you water, if they are, the potting on them is bad. Also, you should have a ground probe on your system to prevent one from electrocuting themselves.. Stray voltage can be introduced by your lights as well...

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure you are on a GFCI circuit and install a ground probe both.

Back