Stressed/lost tissue goniopora from clownfish spawning

Kikoboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,

I have a red goniopora for years, its about 10 inches when fully extended and has never given me any problems. It’s the home of my clownfish, Which has been spawning of late. This is actually the second time around, the first batch hatched about 2
Weeks ago and was probably eaten/blown away by the pumps. The second batch of eggs appeared about 3 days ago, and my goniopora has shriveled up more and more each day. The part of the goniopora right next to the eggs has been completely closed the last day or two, to the point where I see skeleton. Today, I noticed there Is actually ripped tissue from the closed up part (right bottom red circle in the picture attached) of the Goni, so I’m a little worried. I have no experience breeding clownfish, nor any intent on starting. My main concern is the Goni, will the lost tissue continue to spread? At this point, can anyone tell me:

1. short of removing the clownfish, is there a way to stop the spawning in the future?
2. Will the lost tissue on the Goni get worse, potentially killing it as it spreads?

I’ve attached a video. If it doesn’t work please see the picture attached instead. The left top red circle in the picture is where the eggs are.

thanks in advance DD21BA25-8E0C-4E6C-AFE2-73F07260EFB8.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0652.MOV
    61.6 MB

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s really hard to tell from the photo and I could not see the video. It is possible the clowns are annoying the your coral, but it looks like the eggs are far enough away that I doubt the clowns are causing the issue. Check your water parameters to make sure there is not a problem there. If you still think it is the clowns causing the irritation you might try giving them a better surface to lay on. A ceramic tile works well just set it at an angle close by. Clay pots laving on their side also work well. I think feel they can protect their eggs better in them then on an exposed surface

OP
OP
K

Kikoboy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s really hard to tell from the photo and I could not see the video. It is possible the clowns are annoying the your coral, but it looks like the eggs are far enough away that I doubt the clowns are causing the issue. Check your water parameters to make sure there is not a problem there. If you still think it is the clowns causing the irritation you might try giving them a better surface to lay on. A ceramic tile works well just set it at an angle close by. Clay pots laving on their side also work well. I think feel they can protect their eggs better in them then on an exposed surface
Thx for the advice. My parameters are consistent and within normal ranges. I woke up this morning and noticed the damaged tissue on the Goni has increased in size, so I decide to frag off an entire chunk and managed to take out one of the clowns while at it. I then glued the part where I fragged off the piece, hopefully that’ll stop the spread. The Goni now looks like Pac-Man Hopefully that was the end of it. Thx again for your help.

4223E67C-25B9-4415-A290-0DA726C1CA7D.jpeg

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 98 44.1%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 75 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back