Stuck between a rock and a hard place!

Espino963

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

i started reefing about 2 years ago after many years of lurking the forums. I started with a Fluval 13.5 (this is when I learned to hate AIO tanks and maintenance). A year ago my wife and I purchased our condo, unfortunately it’s on the second floor.I was super sketched out about putting a big tank on the 2nd floor so I went conservative with a 35g (36”x14x16) custom build with a 20g sump(which now I regret not going bigger). I love the tank and it’s maturing but I do want to go bigger as the display is only 35g and the wall is 48” where the tank sits (I would like to maximize that space).

I currently have 2 options:

option A:

purchase the apex w/trident as well as another xr15 blue and attempt sps corals.

Option B:
purchase a waterbox 105 frag and trade my xr15 blue for 2 ai prime HD’s until I could fork out more money for better lighting. As more funds come in I could add a aquarium controller and other goodies.

We plan on being at this condo for atleast 5 years before we upgrade to a bigger house and I’d like to maximize space both in the display and Sump.

I’m hoping to gather some thoughts to help make another bad financial decision.

6D4F950F-95ED-4B3A-8ECE-B2EEB9DA519A.jpeg

Reef.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option B, I would try and keep the Radion, you may not need 2 radions straight away, you could buy a cheap light to fill in with the Radion, until you need the extra Radion.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would personally choose the bigger tank.
Did something change that makes you confident that your floor will support the extra load? IMO floors will support more weight than we worry about (especially if the joists are running perpendicular to the tank and near a load bearing wall) I'm just curious if that was a concern before why isn't it now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

Espino963

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Option B, I would try and keep the Radion, you may not need 2 radions straight away, you could buy a cheap light to fill in with the Radion, until you need the extra Radion.
I’ve been supplementing with a cheap light I had on my 13.5 so far so good.
I would personally choose the bigger tank.
Did something change that makes you confident that your floor will support the extra load? IMO floors will support more weight than we worry about (especially if the joists are running perpendicular to the tank and near a load bearing wall) I'm just cirious if that was a concern before why isn't it now.
When I moved in my condo I did overhead lighting i cut trenches to run the wiring as I don’t have an attic. My neighbor below me wanted the same set up so I helped them cut the dry wall and I seen how the joists run. They’re 24” apart and the tank is along a wall, I’m confident that a frag 105 will be fine. (And I made sure my home insurance covers a tank busting lol

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re 24” apart and the tank is along a wall, I’m confident that a frag 105 will be fine. (And I made sure my home insurance covers a tank busting lol
Not trying to dissuade you but 24" is farther apart than most construction (new construction at least), although I've probably put tanks of equal weight on more questionable floors than that. If you're confident of the floor then this doesn't seem like a hard choice in my opinion.
My tank is a 125 and every time I look at the extra 12" on each side I regret not getting an 8' tank. Bigger is always the answer. Lol

OP
OP
E

Espino963

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to dissuade you but 24" is farther apart than most construction (new construction at least), although I've probably put tanks of equal weight on more questionable floors than that. If you're confident of the floor then this doesn't seem like a hard choice in my opinion.
My tank is a 125 and every time I look at the extra 12" on each side I regret not getting an 8' tank. Bigger is always the answer. Lol
I would go way bigger but the wall where the tank sits is only 48” wide. If not I would have to move some stuff around and I don’t think my wife would approve.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would go way bigger but the wall where the tank sits is only 48” wide. If not I would have to move some stuff around and I don’t think my wife would approve.
I understand completely. Mine is only 6 ft and not 8 because my wife though that the 125 was big enough. I shouldn't have listened, she would've gotten over it, but in my case there was room for a bigger tank.

OP
OP
E

Espino963

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do they say? It’s easier to ask for forgiveness then for permission lol

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back