ConorE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

Hope this is in the correct thread..

I have been cycling my new tank for 25 days now and in the last week have noticed a substance build up on the glass of my sump (pictures below). I used ATM colony to start the cycle and In my sump I have bio blocks, a skimmer not current running as I was told to leave it for a few weeks to allow bacterial to establish, recently added chaeto and have some filter floss.

I dont have fine sand so cant imagine it is that, I use for the most part coarse coral substrate.

Any ideas? My goal is to allow my chaeto to grow to a size that can filter my system, at the moment it's fairly small in comparison.

If I've left anything out let me know!

20200625_113131.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Its dust from the sandbed and some mulm similar to diatoms. You can leave it ir siphon it up

OP
OP
ConorE

ConorE

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what that is. Maybe #reefsquad can help.
Its dust from the sandbed and some mulm similar to diatoms. You can leave it ir siphon it up

Thanks guys, I did have diatoms in my main tank which have now sorted themselves out, so may be from that.

As long as it's nothing to worry about I'll see how it gets on on it's own . Appreciate the help fellas.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is just standard broken down detritus. It is benign and won't hurt anything to stay there, but get it out eventually since it can gum up the works. Most people do a shop vac of their sump during a water changed every so often to get all of that out of there.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 8.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 56 43.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 60 46.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back