Super bummed

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuesday night I was feeling motivated and I thought I would work on removing some invasive corals that been taking over my tank. GSP and texas trash palys. I removed a decent amount, and a lot of the palys were on the bottom and filled with detritus. I must of stirred up too much toxins or released something into the water because I lost a bunch of corals over night. I lost my purple birdsnest, setosa, both of my hammers are pinched, two of my digitatas are gone. Only thing that seems fine is a couple stag corals, mushrooms, zoas and nems. Its so sad that gsp and texas trash have taken so much from me already, now trying to remove them, they take even more from me. They are the plague. I am getting ready to reboot with a bigger larger system, but this was quite the blow. I think I am going to have to start the new system with all new live rock to ensure these do not transfer to the new system. Was so excited to save up for a reboot, now very discouraged after losing 1/2 my corals.

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby is a heart breaker for sure. Sometimes, when I think of all the amazing animals I've lost over the years I just want to quit. Even now, I'm struggling with a tank that won't keep a pH over 7.8...

But a few years ago, someone got my son a pair of clownfish, so as long as they live, I keep the course. Hang in there. Corals can be grown again.

P.S. I've started taking great joy in mixing up pickling lime into a paste and applying it via a syringe to kill pests in small batches. It keeps me busy, and it works on anything that can't swim/crawl away. :)

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not quitting. A reboot in necessary for sure. Sounds like I need some pickling lime. I have heard kalk work similarly.

Biggest crusher is the money wasted. But in this hobby, that is a given. I may be hitting some people up for some small easy to grow SPS. Those hurt me the worst to see go.

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not quitting. A reboot in necessary for sure. Sounds like I need some pickling lime. I have heard kalk work similarly.

Biggest crusher is the money wasted. But in this hobby, that is a given. I may be hitting some people up for some small easy to grow SPS. Those hurt me the worst to see go.
Yeah, pickling lime and kalkwasser are interchangeable here. Pickling lime is just cheaper. :)

mjcoussens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HMU when you're ready and I'd be happy to share some frags with you. I'm in O'Fallon, IL, not too far away from you.

Cheers,

Matt
IMG_9166.jpeg

mjcoussens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tye-Dyed Iguana in Fairview Heights almost always has one in stock. I've got the drill bits to plumb it when you're ready.

Cheers,

Matt

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now just been recovering from the crash. Lots of carbon and daily water changes. Everything left seems to have stabilized. Next step is to get some new rock and get it seasoning because there will be no trace of GSP or palys going in the new build. But I’ll be saving up for a bit to get the new aquarium. Going with the Planet aquarium crystalline G2 series. 36 X 24 X 24. Been in the reef game 23 yrs and this is only my second crash. It never gets easier.

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man post crash for the parameters has been a nightmare. High alk, low calc, mag all over the place. I have tried dosing to no avail. Now I am just doing 10% and 20% water changes everyday. Seems like nothing helps. Starting to see some tissue issues on my last two sps. Nems are closing and opening a lot. About the only thing happy is the zoas and shrooms. Been a tough go.

mjcoussens

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless it's a huge system, is there anything preventing you from just doing a full 100% water change?

I've had a few magnets go bad in my system in the past. Polyfilter and a DI cartridge installed in a reactor fixed that right up., Anyway, just a thought.

I'm just a bit East of you in 62269. I'd be happy to hold any corals you want to hang on to in my QT system until you get your system stabilized.

Cheers,

Matt

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless it's a huge system, is there anything preventing you from just doing a full 100% water change?

I've had a few magnets go bad in my system in the past. Polyfilter and a DI cartridge installed in a reactor fixed that right up., Anyway, just a thought.

I'm just a bit East of you in 62269. I'd be happy to hold any corals you want to hang on to in my QT system until you get your system stabilized.

Cheers,

Matt
I will have to think about the logistics of that. I have a 50 gallon can, so I can make that much water. I do have a sump pump that is great for moving water. I could probably buy enough hose to make it down to my basement, then just drain the tank down low enough for the fish to have enough room to make it. The coral and nems should be fine out of water for the small amount of time it would take to refill. I also have a heater so I could get the replacement water up to temp. Thats a good thought, and may be something I consider.

OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What in the world is this white coating on this dead coral skeleton. It’s on the rocks in places too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
michealprater

michealprater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hits keep coming. Battling dinos now. I think I got a bad batch of di resin from BRS. I know I have been doing a lot of water changes but my TDS hit 270 in less than a month on my RODI. Just put a fresh batch in, and we are back to zero. More water changes to come. I have posted about the white flaky soft stuff on the rocks elsewhere here on R2R and basically the thread has been ignored for the most part. And there is nothing out there like it when you do searches. I am just going to assume it has something to due with high alk, low calcium or the high TDS (likely silicates) in the water I was using. Either way, I am not given up.. I have never given up and dont plan to . Its just sad to see this tank like this. It was a stunning tank when it was in all its glory. At least all the god forsaken GSP is dead. LOL

bradleym

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hits keep coming. Battling dinos now. I think I got a bad batch of di resin from BRS. I know I have been doing a lot of water changes but my TDS hit 270 in less than a month on my RODI. Just put a fresh batch in, and we are back to zero. More water changes to come. I have posted about the white flaky soft stuff on the rocks elsewhere here on R2R and basically the thread has been ignored for the most part. And there is nothing out there like it when you do searches. I am just going to assume it has something to due with high alk, low calcium or the high TDS (likely silicates) in the water I was using. Either way, I am not given up.. I have never given up and dont plan to . Its just sad to see this tank like this. It was a stunning tank when it was in all its glory. At least all the god forsaken GSP is dead. LOL
Dinos suck! But your tank is essentially going through a new cycle, so I wouldn't be too discouraged by this. Just stay the course, slow and steady.

Back