Super super small white dots - pods?

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Are these baby pods? Video doesn’t do it justice, they look like micro bubbles. They’re so so so so small. Like I know what normal adult pods look like, and these are probably 10x smaller. The snail is about 1/4” long for reference. I’d say they are a similar thickness to a strand of hair (that’s how small we are talking)

Their movement is what has me interested because they move smooth and somewhat continuously, not the traditional movement I expect from a pod that’s a bit more jerky motion. If these are pods, I would literally have billions in my tank based on their density

azreefkeeper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small enough to need a microscope but it’s clear that they are definitely driven by individual locomotion and not water movement. My guess was a some type of arthropod but no idea what kind. The microscope would help because amphibious have paired eyes whereas copepods have a single eye.

OP
OP
One Reefing Boi

One Reefing Boi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Small enough to need a microscope but it’s clear that they are definitely driven by individual locomotion and not water movement. My guess was a some type of arthropod but no idea what kind. The microscope would help because amphibious have paired eyes whereas copepods have a single eye.
Maybe I’ll pick up a microscope and take a look.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back