Is Gorilla Gel Super Glue reef safe?

• Total voters

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted no, only because gorilla doesn't make super glue. Scotch makes super glue :)

But gorilla does make Cyanoacrylate glue, and yes, it is reef safe.

OP
OP
Frop

Frop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the ingrediants of the package it will say cyanoacrylate if it does should be good. I use Loctite Superglue Gel

I bought a two pack of the loctite brand. The first bottle I used worked great. Later I went to use the second bottle and it was hard as a rock. To my knowledge I never opened that one nor was it previously hardened. That's why I wanted to switch.

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently use bsi's ic-gel, because I get it for free. a lot of reef shops are starting to carry it. it comes in a squeeze tube and it comes with two tips.

pgammon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just don't get a super large bottle or tube unless you plan on doing a lot of gluing. I find if I purchase a large tube I waste most of it because the stuff hardens in the opening, I've had good luck with the locktite gel myself.

Chrisfish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just buy the super glue gel from the dollar store works great and safe to use.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I just got me this giant tube from BRS: http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/jurassic-gel-reef-adhesive.html

207817-jurassic-gel-grouped-a.jpg

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used super glue gel, Gorilla gel and Loctite gel of the three I prefer the Loctite. Any Cyanoacrylate glue gel will work. The thicker ones like Jurassic gel are used for gluing rocks. Best thing when gluing frags is stop wave pumps until glue has set. On larger frags or those in weird spots use epoxy stick that you knead together then super glue to frag and super glue to rock work. In a short time the epoxy will be coated with coralline and other growth and look just like the rock. The super glue does not always adhere well to rocks that have been in tank for a length of time and the epoxy will push the super glue into the crevices and hold better.

KillKennyTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I have used it for the last year with on problem. I have glued a lot of frags to my live rock. I also glued some small pices to the over flow box. and they are still there. Good luck and glue on.

stevieduk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Congaken

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch out because Gorilla glue and Gorilla superglue are two different glues.
I have Gorilla glue and it says it contains polyisocyanates and diisocyanates, so i dont know if thats safe or not
I've been using Reef Fantastic Purple Thickened Glue...its purple and looks a lot nicer than the big white smears, especially in my 10 nano where its hard to control...where it shows, its just a flash of color...not unsightly...:)

Dreadnaught

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the Jurassic Glue. It's MUCH thicker than any standard super glue so it goes where you want it.

Cameron Martinez

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the gorilla gel super glue for over a year now no issues. If you are going to be fragging a lot may not be the best bang for buck. For the little I do I feel it is better that the little fishies junk and cheaper than ecotech.....

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 24.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back