"Sure thing" corals

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres plenty of articles and youtube videos on this topic but many of them seem like they are made by someone doing it just for the ad revenue. So most of them are just rehashed info from other articles/videos.

So, I'd like to see what users here have to say on what corals are so easy to keep that them doing well is basically a sure thing. If you set up a tank for someone that never even kept a goldfish, with good lighting and flow and rock and sand from an established tank, what 3 corals would you put in it.

I'll go first
1)pulsing xenia
2)gsp
3)kenya tree

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres plenty of articles and youtube videos on this topic but many of them seem like they are made by someone doing it just for the ad revenue. So most of them are just rehashed info from other articles/videos.

So, I'd like to see what users here have to say on what corals are so easy to keep that them doing well is basically a sure thing. If you set up a tank for someone that never even kept a goldfish, with good lighting and flow and rock and sand from an established tank, what 3 corals would you put in it.

I'll go first
1)pulsing xenia
2)gsp
3)kenya tree
I would have them learn how to keep better coral than throw these in just because they are easy

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For someone new, I think plague corals like xenia, Kenya tree, and gsp are good. If you want bulletproof growing corals that aren't plagues usually, finger leathers, the standard brownish purple thin branch gorgonian, and toadstools (massive toadstools after a few years do throw babies but they just drop them right next to itself and are super easy to remove) are pretty bulletproof and don't throw babies everywhere or spread to every inch once you get a more stable tank

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry I didnt mean to offend the OP, I think its a great thread, just trying to make a joke. A bad one lol
don't see how it could be offensive just the truth to some people

OP
OP
R

Readywriter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry I didnt mean to offend the OP, I think its a great thread, just trying to make a joke. A bad one lol
Nah you made a valid point. Not everyone likes their tank to look like a risk board game played by a few invasive softy species (I thoroughly enjoy it lol) But, my main motivation for this thread is the internet has become useless outside of forum posts that pop up in a web search and there used to be a lot of real good forums with this sort of thread but they no longer exist at all.

Dmmz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a lot of beginners get the invasive corals and then it takes over their tank and they get frustrated and leave so I don't really like to offer those as a beginner coral unless they understand what can happen if not kept under control

Naekuh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Cheaper Euphyllia... ignoring the designer torches and hammers.

2. Zoa Colony thats established beyond more then 5 polyps.
Single Zoa polyps is stressful, as one mistake and there goes your entire coral.

3. Birds Nest, provided your Alk, Ca, Mg are in params.

4. Toadstool , colt coral, kenya tree... almost all the softies except a few.

5. Anything coral you do not want, and are trying to make room for something better.

Why is it that when you want to get rid of it, it always ends up doing better then when you first got it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.1%
Back