Surprise in a 15 years old aquarium

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So a 1 foot carnivore can live how long with no fish losses ?

@Lasse said 1 meter not 1 foot..... That's a huge worm and without major losses.... (Shudder)

siggy

My Aquariums Going Again
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mines only about 8”
Well there goes the Hudson Valley
tsar-bomba1.jpg

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In all seriousness, though - Where does something like that hide, for all those years, in a tank that size? Did he have a very deep sand bed or a very large amount of rock work? Even if both were true, it's hard to understand how something 3 feet in length would remain unseen. Especially if it's not even trying to hide.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking it "might" not be a bobbit . Is it possible it's not ? Also we don't know all the details. how much rock work. The tank was 15 years old was there a plenum plate on the bottom or such? The beast could easily hide down there. We can all agree the Good Folks that live on the other side of the Atlantic do things differently. Even if they do talk a little funny ;) . The mystery deepens !

Last edited:

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
15 years ago - my friend set up a 540 litres aquarium in his shop. It has been there and he has only add some corals and fishes. Never, ever seen any problems with the livestock. Last week - he took it down and this show up - more than 1 metre :)

mms_img7720946581_4.jpg

Surprise, surprise

Now it is in an aquaria of a marine biologist. He will try to give it a sand bed and try to take some video of how the creature hunt

Sincerely Lasse
Eunice sp.

Stonekeg

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no idea why these things creep me out so bad. I'm normally not squeemish about this sort of thing, either. For example: Once in the Army I was woken up after a long night march to a training battle that got delayed just as we had arrived. My buddy was nudging me awake with a look of urgency on his face because he noticed there was a decent sized tarantula on my chest. What did I do? Nothing. In my mind he was just a lil guy looking to stay warm. I went back to sleep without even trying to find him a new spot. (I was bundled up, so he wasn't getting in my clothes)

Now, with that story in mind I can't understand why I am down right horrified by these bristle worms. TO THIS DAY I remember seeing one on the beach when I was very young and being freaked out by it. Moms boyfriend tried to go digging after it and I was like "NOPE" and just walked off. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mayanreefer71

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did You get a definitive ID yet ? Very cool ,vary creepy animal. So a 1 foot carnivore can live how long with no fish losses ? I'm very curious about this part. It had to be eating something .
What creeps me is how big could one get? A 12 ft bobbit as big around as a telephone pole? Yikes!
Imagine a huge butt bobbit grabbing your arm while your in the tank rearranging things....yikes!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 162 72.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.9%
Back