OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they going into an observation QT or directly into your DT? If the latter, I would give them all a 30 min H2O2 bath as an insurance policy against velvet/brook/uronema: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/hydrogen-peroxide.640232/

You can safely double the dosage (5 ml of 3% H2O2 per 1 liter of saltwater) in order to achieve 150ppm concentration.
I was planning an observation QT for 14 days, but I could do either. What is your recommendation?

As always thank you for your help!

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was planning an observation QT for 14 days, but I could do either. What is your recommendation?

As always thank you for your help!

It's a tough call. Those smaller anthias don't really start acting "normal" until placed in a more natural environment. I think it's a lack of rocks/hiding spots that really stress them out.

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a tough call. Those smaller anthias don't really start acting "normal" until placed in a more natural environment. I think it's a lack of rocks/hiding spots that really stress them out.
Well, they've linked my presence with food, and are always out swimming when I go in the fish room. This is quite different behavior from before. I can also understand your position on the tough call. Perhaps I'll attempt the 2nd QT with a very close eye.

OP
OP
Ross B Reef'n

Ross B Reef'n

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to give a shutout to @Humblefish for his recommendations. I moved the group to an observation tank 8/9 days ago and lost another female. After the female went, the male started showing the dreaded lethargic behavior. I administered a 150ppm H202 bath for 30 minutes and moved them to the display tank. It took nearly a week, but the male slowly turned around.

At first, he just sat on the sand bed. Then the next few days he started swimming up to the corner of the tank, then back down. Then stayed up at the corner of the tank. Finally, within the last two days, he seems back to full health, swimming about in the water column.

20191105_072733.jpg

20191105_072734.jpg

20191105_072736.jpg

20191105_072739.jpg

20191105_072741.jpg

20191105_072745.jpg

I don't know much it had to do with it, but my Naso tang kept a close eye on him, and kept doing something that I could only describe as, "Hey buddy, come swim this way." Almost as if she was constantly encouraging him. Absolutely amazing to watch.

I've also setup a doser to feed periodically throughout the day. These are my pets, and spare no expense for thier health.

20191105_072759.jpg

Now that I know it works, time to put it inside a refrigerator.

Thanks again @Humblefish!!!

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad they're doing better! Anthias really need to be moved through QT as quickly as possible, and then transferred into a more natural environment. They need rock with little nooks & crannies to feel more secure. They also need to be fed small meals at least 3-4x daily; their high metabolisms can't survive off 1 meal per day. Calanus is great frozen food for them. You can also sometimes train them to eat pellets and then utilize an auto-feeder.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 2 5.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 10 27.8%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.8%
Back