Switch to LED- acclimation process?

goody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 90g sps dominated tank. I have been running 6x54w t5 with 4 bulbs being overdriven on Icecapp ballast. I just purchased two 120w LED fixtures which I want to start using. Most of my sps are in the top half of the tank, and my t5s are about 3-4" above tank. I do not have any PAR readings for my tank with current lighting, but I do have them for the LED fixtures. Sold - 120w Led Fixture - San Diego Reef Forums

Any recommendations on best way to acclimate tank to new lighting? Should I use window screen material? Any suggestions on how high above tank I should place these? Lighting period? (I did get the timers, so I can do a dawn to dusk).

evilc66

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Timing shouldn't change at all. I'd mount the fixtures about 4-6" off the water, and use a few layers of screen to acclimate things. Start with 3 sheets and adjust from there.

wld1783

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Timing shouldn't change at all. I'd mount the fixtures about 4-6" off the water, and use a few layers of screen to acclimate things. Start with 3 sheets and adjust from there.

+1

If you wind up starting with less light no worries corals are used to a week of overcast and stormy days.

What they are not used to is too much light too quick. Their symbiotic algae will go nuts and produce too much oxygen which is toxic in large quantities. They sense this and then expel the zooxanthellae algae. More often than not they wind up bleached and under nourished. This is normally not good.

Slow acclimation is always best.

Bill

One More And I’m Out. Is Failure An Option?

• Yes

Votes: 12 16.7%
  • No

Votes: 53 73.6%
  • Unsure

Votes: 7 9.7%
Back