Switching Controllers from Apex to GHL

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I forgot to mention that the TDS is read once an hour and not continuous. The temp and pH is more or less continuous. It has to do with the TDS unit that is used and not the controller itself. I doubt that it would change that drastically in an hour.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All the controllers have wifi access and once setup in your account and setup for wifi access will comunicate to the cloud which is on the Amazon servers. The alerts can be push notifications on the devices with the app installed or email. You can have them sent to both. You can also get it to send text if you use the email to text for your carrier. There are several different alerts from none, yellow, orange or red. The later is even audible at the controller so use that one wisely. I have a X3 in my collective. In the screenshot below from the app the controller named INP 1 42g is my X3. The inputs from it are 42g Temp, 42g pH and Skimmer Full. The other controllers here are also at the tank and are a XS for four more inputs and a XP8 which powers my heaters, cooling fans, return pump and skimmer pump. The other one here is a wave engine v2. It is also the wifi master for the collective and controls a couple of Ecotech MP10's. I have 5 other controllers in the collective vut they are in the garage. You can setup separate pages which I have done here. The one in the screenshot is the top part of the Hex Tank page. The outputs are down below the inputs but it all won't fit so it will show in the screenshot. The second screenshot is of a screen full of push notifications. It will repeat the notifications every 30 minutes the way I have it setup until the issue clears. As you can see I had to refill my All for Reef reservoir today. It was getting low. Once I did after the 30 minute timer it sends a alert condition no longer present. There is also a web app you can access from their website for use on a computer of from a web browser. I do use mine for control also, but even if you get the monitor package it still comes with a controller and all you would need is an output device such as the wifi strips or a controller with the type output device you need. They do have a wifi feeder that it can control since it is it's own output device.

FFACFBC4-D6C5-4E93-A3A1-5D314FEE2AAC.png

A4B292F1-EAAF-4A55-8F3E-6C714B572DFE.png

Any complaints with it? Im thinking about throwing out all my GHL and try Hydros.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any complaints with it? Im thinking about throwing out all my GHL and try Hydros.
I don't have any complaints. I have 9 controllers in a collective. The Hydros system replaces my Archon system. I have been able to do everything I was doing with the Archon on my Hydros so far.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hum. One large negative seems to be that you can only see 5 days of historical data; which is kind of weak.
The graphing is on their list for improvements. Not sure what the priority is compared to the other things on the list.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't have any complaints. I have 9 controllers in a collective. The Hydros system replaces my Archon system. I have been able to do everything I was doing with the Archon on my Hydros so far.
Wow 9? I might get one to try out. The UI looks really easy to use.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow 9? I might get one to try out. The UI looks really easy to use.
In the system there are no modules since all of them are capable of running on their own as an independent controller or in a collective like one large controller. So it can grow as your needs grow.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a summary of the pro/con apex vs ghl - also apex introduced the apex jr; does the ghl have a monitoring base similar to the apex jr? I just want to monitor temp/ec-tds/ph but don't actually want control.
For base level monitoring with option to control, we have the ProfILux Mini Wi-FI. It is offered as a single device (incl. temp probe) or a set which comes with the head unit, temp probe, pH probe and 4 outlet power bar.

You can find more details about those options here:

If you have any questions about these items, shoot me a DM.

Harpo

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Steps I used to Install the Avast Barrel Tender V2:

Parts Needed:
One Avast Barrel Tender V2: https://www.avastmarine.com/products/barrel-tender
One GHL PL-ADIN Card for my Expansion box: https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/usa/product/plm-adin/
One 9 Pin Adapater from Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-sign...139&sr=8-2-fkmr2&keywords=EZsync+Female+D-Sub) which was needed to connect to the GHL PL-ADIN Card.

I connected mine as follows with the above Terminal:
For the Wire Terminal I used Above
White - Low (Pin 3)
Red - High (Pin 4)
Black - Common (Pin 8)

Once Installed I had to do some testing with the Barrel Tender in and out of water to see which Pins were being used and how they would map to the Digital Input based on the Amazon Adapter I chosen,

Determine the Digital Inputs being used by Barrel Tender V2
Open GCC Desktop Software
Click System
Click 1-10V Interfaces
I watched as I tested the Low and High, which will provide a check-mark when they are shown activated which for me was when barrel was EMPTY.
barrel_ato1-png.784774

Click on Each one and Provide a name, for me it was Barrel Low and Barrel High, do not forget to Save

Program Advance Gate Logic for the Barrel Tender

Click Programming Logic
Select the Gate you wish to use for me it was G22
Set Digital: Input 2
Reset Digital: Input 3 Inverted
Function: SR-Flipflop

barrel_ato2-png.784769

Once you have your Programming logic done you need to assign it to the outlet that the Barrel Tender is installed on:

Configure Outlet Barrel Tender V2 is Plugged Into:
Click System
Click Switch Channels and Outlets
Click the Switch Channel (Outlet) you have your Barrel Tender plugged into
Function: Programmable Logic 22
Do not forget to Provide a name and Description
And do not forget to setup the blackout delay
Last do not forget to save.

barrel_ato3-png.784778

Pretty Simple to do :)
Do I have to put this in an expansion box or can I put this in my controller?

nickm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For base level monitoring with option to control, we have the ProfILux Mini Wi-FI. It is offered as a single device (incl. temp probe) or a set which comes with the head unit, temp probe, pH probe and 4 outlet power bar.

You can find more details about those options here:

If you have any questions about these items, shoot me a DM.
I'm wanting to setup a RODI/ ATO system in my garage, so this would be for monitoring only. Maybe later down the road add a system to auto fill the top off reservoir at main display in great room. Would an expansion box be better suited or the wifi mini? The main display will have a P4. Also is their a way to have it top off two ato's.

HuneyBear

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wanting to setup a RODI/ ATO system in my garage, so this would be for monitoring only. Maybe later down the road add a system to auto fill the top off reservoir at main display in great room. Would an expansion box be better suited or the wifi mini? The main display will have a P4. Also is their a way to have it top off two ato's.
If you can run cat/5 cable from p4 to the garage you could use an expansion box. I admittedly know nothing about the wifi mini. I know I personally would use an expansion box because I only want to log onto one thing, but that’s me.

nickm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can run cat/5 cable from p4 to the garage you could use an expansion box. I admittedly know nothing about the wifi mini. I know I personally would use an expansion box because I only want to log onto one thing, but that’s me.
I can run a cat5 cable to garage for the expansion box. Yes I'm the same way as of logging into one thing. I wish you could control 2 tanks off of one P4. But I know its not possible with sensor cabling in all.

Vinny@GHLUSA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish you could control 2 tanks off of one P4. But I know its not possible with sensor cabling in all.
What makes you think that's not possible? :thinking-face:

Each tank can get its own EXB2 with probes and all. Name them and connect to the P4 to view them all.

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only have macs no windows.
Has the situation with the GHL web interface or the phone app improved to point that the windows-exclusive ghl control center is nearly superfluous?

I don’t mind having to log into a virtual machine to deal with the GHL control center once every 6 months. But I really need to be able to do 95% of things from the web interfaces.

Is there any way to power 12v/24v DC accessories directly, like the apex does with the 24v ports?

Thanks a lot for the info!

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been using GHL since around 2010. When app and the cloud app was introduced - I was very sceptical to use it. Today - more than 95 % of the time I spent on GHL gear is by the web interface. The only thing that´s exclusive for GCC is FW update and virtual probes. Calibration of probes is possible by the web interface/app today. If I do larger changes - I still prefer GCC because you can have more than one window open and check your result that way. GCC is also faster if you want to switch between different options. In some way - the web interface is better - as an example graphs.

Sincerely Lasse

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back