Switching fish tank base

Signalhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good afternoon, and thanks for reading...
I will be swaping my stand from a wood stand to metal. I'm planning/ hopping to do this in two days. I have new salt to mix new water and new sand, and I was hoping to get a jlive rock. Well, to my surprise, they are out to the end of May. I don't want to use my rock because of green hair algae. Suggestions? I have plenty of totes to keep the critters. What to expect with regards to cycle
I'm lost and I like some direction how to go.

Tanks is 150 gallons sump 40 gallons

Thanks in advance for your help!

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps scrub the GHA off of the rock with a stiff brush and go forward with the swap. While replacing rock and substrate with new, the potential for GHA, at least in some amount, is inevitable I believe. The value of the seasoned rock outweighs the risk IMO.

OP
OP
Signalhead

Signalhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps scrub the GHA off of the rock with a stiff brush and go forward with the swap. While replacing rock and substrate with new, the potential for GHA, at least in some amount, is inevitable I believe. The value of the seasoned rock outweighs the risk IMO.
Thank you for your reply. But by scrubing the rock. Will I need to add bacteria/instant cycling?

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your reply. But by scrubing the rock. Will I need to add bacteria/instant cycling?
I believe you will be ok since your rock is likely porous and hence bacteria remains present especially if you only scrub where the GHA is located. Also, if you have any rock in the sump (I use foam blocks), you will likely have more than enough there. If you are concerned, you could add a bottle of your favorite bacteria.

OP
OP
Signalhead

Signalhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you will be ok since your rock is likely porous and hence bacteria remains present especially if you only scrub where the GHA is located. Also, if you have any rock in the sump (I use foam blocks), you will likely have more than enough there. If you are concerned, you could add a bottle of your favorite bacteria.
Cool thanks for your input.

OP
OP
Signalhead

Signalhead

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. The base swap went well. Nothonh broke. I hope to move my fish back in the tank.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 5.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 65 76.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 5.9%
Back