switching to SE from Hqi...need help

BluegrassReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm tired of HQi bulbs burning out on me. So I am switching to Se bulbs . Lighting and par is not my best subject so what is the best se par bulb in the 10k area.? I was thinking of reeflux 10k and t5 true atinics. also thinking of getting luman brite mini's. does this sound ok or do you all have another suggestion.

Also can I run Se bulbs on electronic ballasts? ARO to be exact

mike

GrouperGenius

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you haven't allready aquired the SE 250W stuff. Check the PAR numbers on the Iwasaki 15K 175 watt bulbs. Pretty good especially with Icecap ballasts. Not a lot of blue in them though.

If your deadset 250w SE, Aquaconnects are pretty nice but overpriced. There is a newer bulb Aquamaxx that is out there that is allegedly pretty good as well.

reefpeeper

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check Out Sanjay Joshi's Page For Bulb Comparisons. I Think That Is How To Spell His Name. Just Search On Google. His Pages Are Very Helpful

pjr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You'll find that Samjay's data has moved here:

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/lighting

Lots of good 10K options out there. I have heard great things about the XM 10K (but avoid the XM 15K). The Isawaski 15K bulbs are nice, but from a color perspecive, I think they look more like a 10K bulb... need to be supplemented with actinics.

I prefer to run my SE bulbs without actinincs (except for dawn/dust transition). The best bulbs (for color and PAR) to accomplish that goal is the 20K XM bulbs on manetic ballasts, or the 14K hamilton on electronic ballasts.

Dace

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the first question to me is why your de's are burning on you. are you using a UV glass which is a must with de bulbs. are you getting too much moisture in the fixture. is there a connection issue on the wiring. is your ballast defective. I've used both de's and se and have found they are both good setups and only had 1 de bulb burn out on me due to a defective Coral Vue Ballast. remember if you buy everything new it's only going to make it seem like the problem is going away Werther you go se or de.

OP
OP
BluegrassReef

BluegrassReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks guys for all the info...Looks like I still need to do some research. Since I already have electronic ballasts I may go with the 14k hamiltons. Gotta save money for frags...lol

mpoletti

Just a drunkard
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best 10k bulb for par is xm10k. They are par hogs, just a little too yellow for me.

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a DE set up and want to run your 250w SE bulbs on the HQI ballast you will overdrive the bulbs and get actually more PAR from them. They will have a max life of about 6-8 months. This is a good choice IMO though.
I have replaced 5 DE bulbs in my light in the last year. Not because of bulb life or ballast problems but because the sockets for DE are absolute garbage. I have talked to more than one manufacturer about the problem and they all say it happens. In my fixture, the replacement sockets are made of thicker gauge wiring and metal and are nickel coated vs. being copper. To date, these bad sockets cost me close to an additional $400.

My lamp is an Aqua-Medic Sexy series with 5 MH lamps(72"). I am not impressed at all.
I believe if there is a problem with the sockets then they should of sent a full set of replacements and not one at a time at my costs. Total Crap! I guess just keep burning lamps and replacing sockets as I go.

One other thing to note is that DE lamps will not produce the same color as an equivalent lamp(250w Se vs. 250w DE) by the same manufacturer. It just doesn't work that way. Mogul fitted SE lamps burn truer and produce just as much par as the HQI lamps. The color IMO is definitely better with the SE lamps.

OP
OP
BluegrassReef

BluegrassReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks mr.firemouth I think I am gonna go with 14k hamiltons and t5 atinics for dusk/dawn effect. I do think that the sockets to be my problem also as the helios were less than 2 months old and one of them blew apart on the inside.

Mr.Firemouth

FIREMOUTH WIZARD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a fan of Hamilton lamps but do like their full hoods.
Their lamps IME have changed color quickly and lasted about 6 months before needing replacement.

So are you staying DE or switching to SE?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 17 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 48 44.0%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 38 34.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back