Swollen SPS

Natish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone experienced this or able to offer advice?

Swollen Digitata. Both polyps and areas of new growth.

Tank stats
- Salinity 1.026
- Nitrate 2 ppm
- Phosphate 0.10 ppm
- Calcium 350 ppm
- Magnesium 1275 ppm
- Alkalinity 10.2 dKH
- pH 8.0
-Temp 79-82F

- 32 gal biocube upgraded with "Steves LEDs"
- 1 dwarf moray eel
- healthy SPS colony and frags growing
- Euphylia have receeding tissue and are not doing well
- Zoas and Palys are Mixed success some thrive some struggle. Some Zoas have a bulging/swollen disc/head.
- Goniopora are thriving
- Mushrooms are thriving
- smells like there is bacteria bloom and there was cloudy water (25% water change reduced cloudiness)

Shown in photos are the original small colony and the numerous frags off of it (fragged about 8 months ago), and an image of the swollen/bulging Zoas.

The only obvious changed that has occured recently was a treatment with Fenbendazole to exterminate some small pest anemones that were stinging Zoas. I removed an anemone colonized rock, bath in Fenbendazole for 48 hours, rinsed for 12 hours and reintroduced. About a month after this swelling began.

Thanks

2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock is very very porous and a simple rinse/soak with plain water would not guarantee the meds to be removed from deep inside the rock. You would need to use a skimmer to be sure and I would lean towards rinsing for a minimum twice as long.

Fenbendazole is not reef safe.

OP
OP
N

Natish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I did weekly water changes after the medication (alternating 20% and 10%), ran carbon.

LFS says Fenbendazole has a short “lifespan”. They said it breaks down after 3 days.

swelling started like a month after the Fenbendazole treatment.

Im currently looking into the possibility of bacterial infection

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 47 41.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.6%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 32 28.3%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 20 17.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back