Symphillia suddenly dying FAST

Silverking90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bought this aussie symphillia on ebay about a month ago. It came in great shape and has been doing great ever since. Always inflated and tentacles out feeding at night. Looked great yesterday, didnt even notice any recession this morning. I get home from work and there is a whole big area just dead on one of the pieces. Its just deteriorating flesh, no brown jelly or any visible creatures eating it. I dont even house any inverts/fish that are known to eat coral anyway. however my tang picks at the now dying flesh, but figure they only eat it cuz is basically dead now....

I recently had a plate coral at the bottom of my tank die. I noticed light recession and figured it was from improper placement (too much shade) so moved it on top about 4in away from this symphillia. The plate responded by deteriorating completely over the next 2 days. Same thing, no signs of any disease, it just erroded away. Could the death of this plate coal have killed the symphillia?...2 days after? All other corals are fine. nitrates are 5, phos 0, alk 7.7, calc 465, ph 8.0

any recommendations or ideas appreciated.

OP
OP
Silverking90

Silverking90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
flow is moderate to high, idk how to measure lighting without one of those meters. I will note that other corals of the same family are thriving at the same level so I dont think its a lighting or flow issue

Jenbob

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is doing same thing help

7E26D554-5C8F-4EBE-B0FE-D95E5B506643.jpeg

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might also want to try cutting off the dead/severely affected tissue. Standard bone cutters should suffice. Remove it because BJD is contagious and may kill the rest of your lps if left untreated

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 49 41.5%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 12 10.2%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 33 28.0%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 22 18.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back