T-5 Reefers, Can You Talk Me Into T-5's

Roy 9121

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You
Hello all T-5 reefers. I started reefing back in the 90's and I built a 75g into the living room wall and put together a VHO lighting system. A few months before retiring the hobby I removed two VHO's and in it's place, I installed a 175w halide. Everything looked great with both lighting's. After several years my wife and I sold out for other interests, but now were back into this beautiful hobby.

I was surprised that LED's has become widely used, so I first bought a Chinese type of LED for my wife's 29g cube, then Maxspect's on one tank and Kessil on another, but we're very disappointed with all, other than the Kessil 360we.

One major factor, my wife does not like the "shimmer" that most of us like, but it gives her a headache, especially since the tank will be right below our 65" TV in the wall, in the living room.

The main problem is the disco affect of most LED lighting tanks, some worse than others, even with some of the high dollar manufactures. I don't want a argument here from the devoted LED people, especially diehard EcoTech users, it's a quality light, but not for 800 bucks each ! (that's all I'll mention here)

Anyway, I'm thinking of going back to halides, as a lot of people are saying that for my 125g in wall mixed reef, I won't need a chiller, because the lighting will be in open air, not enclosed in a canopy.
And, with the German type reflectors, I'll only need two 250w, not three and I assumed.

With that said, I know there's a lot,.....of small to mega sized aquariums out there that utilize all T-5 fluorescent's, even with dominated SPS corals.

The only real issue with T-5's is the tube replacement costs every 6-12 month's, and having a 6' long tank, that's 6-12 tubes. eek.......The plus is the amazing amount of different colors to choose from and little in the way of heat.

I need to know what lighting you have (your tube color decision) and how your corals look because of your T-5's.

Tell me what you have, why, and VERY IMPORTANT, please,........post any photo's and video's of your system, corals & fish, to show off your T-5's !

So, before I make up my mind and going with halides and supplement with T-5's or LED's, can you talk me into going to T-5 lighting ?

Regards,
Kevin
You don't get the same shimmer with the MH lights? Because i always did. And even in open air, i think your still going to need a chiller.

gus6464

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Workhorse are horrible ballasts for our use. Crap ballast factor and they're rapid start. Either buy a HEP or a Philips Centium. Also on a 6ft tank a 5ft T5 is fine. Are you really going to put SPS right by the glass? I would just buy an 8x80W sunpower and call it a day.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had Kessil's on my 6 foot tank because I loved their shimmer. Like your wife, though, the shimmer got to be too much. Instead of going back to T-5 only, I simply added some T-5's in the front and back of my canopy to supplement the current Kessils. The T-5's help with the shadowing from the LED's and reduce the shimmer effect so that it's not nearly as noticeable. With the LED's producing most of the light and just using two 2 bulb setups with the T-5's, my bulb replacement cost is more manageable.

Daniel, you have a PM.

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you compared the e5 to a royal blue strip like the reefbrite? Obviously there's no shimmer with the e5, but how is the color? I've been thinking about trying two of these in my spectra for royal blues instead of building crew light bars.
Yes. They do not have the same pop that say XHOs do. Its more like a blue plus with a bunch of pop. The fluorescence is more so than a blue plus though for sure. I also have XHOs hanging on my Spectra as well but rarely turn them on.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to get caught up on all the posts, but as I was searching T5 lighting on YouTube, I came across a video from Tidal Gardens.

He explains that he's been using LED's for quite some time, then desided to try out a very,.....low cost T5 system that's on Amazon. He's real happy with tbese.

I don't know if I'd use the bulbs that come with it like he did, but that's an easy change of course.

Below is his video then a link to Amazon. It costs $98 bucks with FREE shipping.
Like he said, if it doesn't last that long compared to the expensive company's,....what the heck ? !

Tidal Garden's YouTube video-

Amazon-

Hydroplanet™ T5 4ft 4lamp Fluorescent HO Bulbs Included for Indoor Horticulture Gardening T5 Grow Lights Fixtures

https://www.amazon.com/Hydroplanet-Fluorescent-Included-Horticulture-Gardening/dp/B019J3UPUS

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to get caught up on all the posts, but as I was searching T5 lighting on YouTube, I came across a video from Tidal Gardens.

He explains that he's been using LED's for quite some time, then desided to try out a very,.....low cost T5 system that's on Amazon. He's real happy with tbese.

I don't know if I'd use the bulbs that come with it like he did, but that's an easy change of course.

Below is his video then a link to Amazon. It costs $98 bucks with FREE shipping.
Like he said, if it doesn't last that long compared to the expensive company's,....what the heck ? !

Tidal Garden's YouTube video-

I have a friend who has two sets of these on a 36"x36"x18" and they are growing the heck out of coral. He is running 3 blue+ and one GE 65 and both fixtures nd it looks great.

Amazon-

Hydroplanet™ T5 4ft 4lamp Fluorescent HO Bulbs Included for Indoor Horticulture Gardening T5 Grow Lights Fixtures

https://www.amazon.com/Hydroplanet-Fluorescent-Included-Horticulture-Gardening/dp/B019J3UPUS

Centerline

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the actual cost to run them.
I don't know man, right now I'm looking at 2 AI Hydra 52 HDs that along with the mounting brackets set me back $1479.76. Cool lights. However, I could have score a 48" 4 bulb T5 / 250 or 175 2 bulb MH setup for $295 from TopDog on ebay. Great fixture for the money and will most certainly grow the heck out of anything you put in the tank. So that gives me $1200 bucks for lamps and electricity. Not that bad when you toss a killawatt on your leds and find that your not saving that much money after all. I know he may need a chiller but not with 175s and maybe not with 250s. Just a thought.

Scott.h

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use ati or geisman bulbs. I guess a 48" 54 watt fixture is a fixture but I really like the dimming capability, and I use it. Cost always plays a roll but some led fixtures are ridiculous in up front cost. Hallides, sure, if you want to pay to run them, pay to run a chiller, monitor the heat, and have a big honkin fixture above the tank.

The thing about t5's, .. the top dogs in the aquaculture industry use them. Flat out. They usually supplement them with 420ish spectrum leds. Can you do it any other way, absolutely. What do you like, what are you willing to spend, it's up to you.

bh750

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use ati or geisman bulbs. I guess a 48" 54 watt fixture is a fixture but I really like the dimming capability, and I use it. Cost always plays a roll but some led fixtures are ridiculous in up front cost. Hallides, sure, if you want to pay to run them, pay to run a chiller, monitor the heat, and have a big honkin fixture above the tank.

The thing about t5's, .. the top dogs in the aquaculture industry use them. Flat out. They usually supplement them with 420ish spectrum leds. Can you do it any other way, absolutely. What do you like, what are you willing to spend, it's up to you.

I ran a 6' long tank for years with T5s. For the same reason. Just love the look of the bright flat colors and no shimmer. I didn't keep many corals so can't comment on that. But did have a clam in my Sandbed and tank is 30" deep and did great there.

Downsides and reason why I wouldn't go back is:

- bulb replacement like to said. I ran 8 bulbs and 60 watts each. Hard to say when they've gone bad.

- ballast were a major PIA. I originally purchased icecap 660s and over the years they broke and broke and broke. Got some great service from icecap and then coralvue but just not worth t

- smaller but still a problem. I needed to keep the lights real close to the water. And they covered the whole tank. So getting my hands in there a nightmare.

Still love the look of the T5s tho.

Switched to Kessil 360s and never looked back. Ditched the DIY aluminum light rack and was happy. Now I have 3 simple tuna cans hanging above my tank. All controllable.

Entire setup cost me over $1000 in 2006 and a lot of pain and $$ over the next 8 years.

That's just my experience.

hecterma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So your saying a Hydroplanet T5 will work with ati bulbs? I'm not sure I need the dimming capability.

hecterma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ran a 6' long tank for years with T5s. For the same reason. Just love the look of the bright flat colors and no shimmer. I didn't keep many corals so can't comment on that. But did have a clam in my Sandbed and tank is 30" deep and did great there.

Downsides and reason why I wouldn't go back is:

- bulb replacement like to said. I ran 8 bulbs and 60 watts each. Hard to say when they've gone bad.

- ballast were a major PIA. I originally purchased icecap 660s and over the years they broke and broke and broke. Got some great service from icecap and then coralvue but just not worth t

- smaller but still a problem. I needed to keep the lights real close to the water. And they covered the whole tank. So getting my hands in there a nightmare.

Still love the look of the T5s tho.

Switched to Kessil 360s and never looked back. Ditched the DIY aluminum light rack and was happy. Now I have 3 simple tuna cans hanging above my tank. All controllable.

Entire setup cost me over $1000 in 2006 and a lot of pain and $$ over the next 8 years.

That's just my experience.
I'm looking to have some sps corals soon and I heard t5's are the best. I rather keep LED's.

hecterma

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 107 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

• I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back