T-5HO question

Garth Schafluetzel

75 gal mixed tank in work
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok i talked to some one today i got a call to make closer to time i was told today for my 75 all i needed was 4 bulb (two fixtures with2 bulbs each) and there the t-5HO it comes with the bulbs for it in the deal i could get so what do you t-5 guys think i want some colorful acros and montis acans and such and i want Growth these power compacts have to go !!!!!!!!

d.grcich

Fat bottom girls
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make sure they have individual reflectors for EACH bulb and a built in fan helps. If it was me I would get a single 4 bulb fixture "or 5 bulb" instead of running two fixtures on one tank. Just would make the tank look more tidy. You will love t5's

Last edited:

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Separate reflectors for each bulb focuses more of the light into the tank. You get more bang for your buck with individual reflectors. A single reflector allows more light to escape without entering the tank. You wind up paying for light that you never use.

ConcreteReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Separate reflectors for each bulb focuses more of the light into the tank. You get more bang for your buck with individual reflectors. A single reflector allows more light to escape without entering the tank. You wind up paying for light that you never use.

He's right- Separate (Individual) Reflectors are the only way to get decent PAR out of T5's (besides overdriving & cooling them).
You can get away with 4xT5's on a 75g just fine- Just remember that T5's have to be cooled or you will cut the bulb life and PAR in half. Ducted cooling is the best way to do this- You want to cool the ENDCAPS, don't just point a fan at the bulbs.

I'm using a 6 bulb ATI Powermodule on my 120g- My 6 bulb fixture puts out as much Par as a 12 bulb Tek light. The Tek does have Individual reflectors but no cooling, Active cooling is just as important IMHO.
The ATI pulls air through slots above the endcaps, over the reflectors & out the top- Very effective cooling, They also use a silver coating on the reflectors.

Can you be more specific on the 2x fixtures your thinking about buying?
I think you would be better off with a single 4 bulb fixture or Icecap retro

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 100 43.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back