T5 bulb placement. Am i overthinking this

Butterfly21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a two fixtures over my 150g tank. One is 24 inchs one is 48 to cover all 72 inchs. The fixtures are 4 bulbs. I run two plus two corals plus in them.

The way i run the bulbs is like alternating meaning coral+, blue+,coral+,blue+

I have them hanging with hooks and rope on the ceiling. And i noticed the fixtures were a tad too far foward after meauring them. The fixture is 13 1/2 wide over a 18 inch wide tank. They are hung about 8 inches from the waterline and 6 1/2 from the trim of the tank. But its barely 2 inchs from the front glass and 3 1.2 from the back glass.

So the fixture was not 100% center.. moving it by hand i can see it lights up the back acropora a little better if i center it more but shadows the front a little.

Anyway. Sorry to blabber as i was centering it i thought about the bulb placement. The way i have it ,coral,blue,coral, blue Makes more of the blue light towards the mid back.. and more of the pinkish white light towards the mid front.

Obviously my fixture has really good reflectors so light is aiming all directions anyway but still.

Wouldnt it be better to have the bulbs more like this blue, coral, coral, blue ? Or am i wrong ?

Sorry lol just curious. Also should i lower or raise my fixture maybe ? I figured 8 inchs would ve perfect height from the water line and i honestly have 0 issues growing acroporas mid to upper level of my tank... every sps lps and leather i have which is 60+ different corals is growing just fine,

Of course i have some acros of the same species in the middle that have turned green and some in the top that are purple same exact species so yea of course par is lower in the middle then upper.. but yea just wondering what you guys think. I know higher up would help spread the light out more. As i mentioned moving it just 1 1.2 inchs to the back more shadowed the front more but lit up the back more even though the fixture is now center.

I probably should have gotten a 6 bulb fixture.. but i didnt do that because i didnt want crazy light bleeding over the sides but oh well

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Your bulb choice is solid, the actual orientation of bulbs would be for your visual preference and have little effect on coral.. your height sounds good and with t5’s having the fixture a little off center will have minimum or no impact.

18F217FE-1191-43C8-9F70-1CD7270BF6CE.gif

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 30 52.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 21.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 5.3%
Back