T5 bulbs and the plastic rim of a tank

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a 20 gallon long and it's ready to go except for the lights. It will be at least a month before I get my Kessil, but I have one of those Hagen Glo T5 ballasts that I used to run on another tank lying around. I was just curious if I were to lay the bulbs across the tank would the heat of the bulbs cause any problems with the plastic rim or not? I know the bulbs get hot, but how hot? I don't want to melt the rim or anything. Thanks. :)

Last edited:

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a 20 gallon long and it's ready to go except for the lights. It will be at least a month before I get my Kessil, but I have one of those Hagen Glo T5 ballasts that I used to run on another tank lying around. I was just curious if I were to lay the bulbs across the tank would the heat of the bulbs cause any problems with the plastic rim or not? I know the bulbs get hot, but how hot? I don't want to melt the rim or anything. Thanks. :)
I don't think it's a good idea. Yes, they can get hot enough to melt the rim. They might even crack or break from any water splash on a hot bulb. Needs to be at least 6" off the water surface.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Id be concerned with the stray voltage. A tube has a large EMF around it and its just looking for someplace to go.

OP
OP
cloak

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would the stray voltage be of any concern if there's nothing in the tank though? I used the shrimp method to cycle the tank and it will be about month before I add any livestock. The whole point of running these bulbs is to get a jump start on the algae growth until my Kessil A160WE arrives.

Last edited:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, just be careful. Safety concern really.

OP
OP
cloak

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I see. Thanks. :)

I'll be home all day so I'm going to see how hot these bulbs get. Maybe create a heat sink of sorts with a little tin foil.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 30 53.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 12 21.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.6%
Back